Guns N’ Roses in San Diego: Yes, In This Lifetime

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

For a 20-year-old college student, a Guns N’ Roses concert was inconceivable in my lifetime, but 2016, yet again, changed everything. 

Guns N’ Roses had not shared the stage in 23 years prior to their 2016 reunion, which kick-started back in Detroit and at Coachella, so it was doubtful that they would be able to successfully put together a U.S. and world tour. 

Despite what many thought the reunion tour would be like, Guns N’ Roses were back with a vengeance. With nothing but straight rock n’ roll, the band performed for a whopping 2 hours and 44 minutes, which included their classics and a transcendental cover of Pink Floyd’s “Wish You Were Here” performed as a guitar duet between Slash and Richard Fortus. 

The night was gifted with multiple Slash guitar solos, but the lead singer, Axel Rose, also presented the audience his Piano artistry.  Rose captured the crowd while behind the piano during “November Rain” and the band’s famous cover of Bob Dylan’s “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door.”

By this point, everyone in the stands is ecstatic and transported back to 1991, indeed not at all worried whether or not the band will perform an encore (they have already performed for 2 hours, so we couldn’t be greedy). Yet Guns N’ Roses did something that will stay with their fans for the next 23 years to come, took us to paradise city. 

With their four song encore, Gun N’ Roses finished their set with an extended version of “Paradise City.” Their last song consisted of Guitar solos, call and response between Axel and the passionate crowd and fireworks (literally). The band’s finale was long and liberate enough to fully immerse yourself in the paradise city and welcome the idea that the original Los Angeles Hard Rock band was back. (New album? *fingers crossed*)

Currently in the process of obtaining a journalism degree at San Diego State University. Born and raised in the Inland Empire (specifically, Colton, for all my fellow Inland Empire-ians). I am an aspiring music journalist, eager to interview the hottest in the industry and justly geek out in front of them (like a real professional). My music taste ranges from the swing era of ole blue eyes, the British revolution, flower power and psychedelic rock of the 60's and 70's, to today's soul and alternative rock. elenamacias11@yahoo.com
I am currently a sophomore at San Diego State majoring in Journalism with an emphasis in Public Relations. I have four years of experience as a writer and editor for my high school newspaper and am now one of the CC's for Her Campus SDSU. Taco Tuesday is my favorite day of the week, and yes, I am related to Abraham Lincoln.