On a Budget: A College Girl’s Guide to Shopping

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

Shopping on a college budget can prove to be a difficult task for any girl. With all of the themed parties, formals, casual nights out, and campus events continuously going on at SDSU, it can be hard to find an affordable outfit that will “wow” everyone. Besides borrowing and swapping clothes with friends, the next best thing a college girl can do is to discover the hidden treasures of San Diego. The many neighborhoods of SD, such as Hillcrest, Pacific Beach, and Gaslamp Quarter, hold some amazing and budget conscious clothing boutiques.

Twirl Boutique
3840 5th Ave
San Diego, CA 92103

Twirl Boutique is a hidden gem in San Diego’s Hillcrest neighborhood. The shop is stocked with affordable, trendy, and unique clothes and accessories! Almost everything in the store is below $35, and the quality of the merchandise is great. The girls who work here are extremely helpful, polite, and stylishly dressed! They can help you bring an outfit to the next level without breaking the bank.

Pink Zone
931 Garnet Ave
San Diego, CA 92109

This store is a must for any college girl. With numerous locations around San Diego, this store is convenient to get to and can meet all your needs. Everything from fashionable accessories, the latest trends in clothes, fab shoes, and costumes galore are sold in this boutique! They always have new merchandise, markdowns, promotions, and everything is usually no more than $20.

Haven Boutique
751 5th Ave
San Diego, CA 92101

One of the best boutiques in the Gaslamp Quarter is Haven. Known for it’s reasonable prices on edgy and trendy accessories and clothing, it is a favorite among many locals. The merchandise is affordable, and they always have sales and promotions. You will without a doubt find unique products that all of 6ayour friends will want to borrow.

Brandy Melville
4516 Mission Blvd
San Diego, CA 92109

This boutique hidden in Pacific Beach has a large selection of simple and classic clothing staples mixed with fun and eclectic jewelry. The prices are affordable making it very hard to leave empty handed! The staff here are some of the most helpful people ever, allowing for your shopping experience to be that much better. The store offers more selection than a typical boutique without lacking an intimate feeling that a department store would.

Jazmine is a freshman at San Diego State University in beautiful SO Cal. With plans to major in Communication and double minor in public relations as well as TFM (Television, Film, and New Media), she deeply enjoys reading, writing, and getting to know people around campus. As the founder and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SDSU, her hopes are high and she is confident the branch will be a wonderful success. While in her first year of college, she is learning how to be more involved around campus while maintaining her studies. After spending a few childhood years living in Europe and traveling internationally, Jazmine has a passion for learning about different cultures from all over the world, especially the different foods! Future plans? She intends to have a career in media, preferably at a fashion magazine, such as Seventeen, or work with a popular television network such as OWN. In her free time she enjoys being with friends, reading, photography, Sunday church, learning how to play the ukulele, organizing things, and spending hours in the beauty department at almost any store.