Aisha’s Piece of the Week: Coachella Fashion – Hippie Chic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

1) Rihanna is here to make a statement, as always! She’s been getting trashier by the day, but this outfit is fly! I like how she balances the feminine Chanel jacket and hippie crop top with bad-ass studded shorts, fiery red oval-shaped nails, and a bold lip. But I must admit, I have never been a fan of clothing that is explicitly stamped with a brand name, like this Chanel jacket. I mean, what are you, a human billboard? But maybe that’s just me…seems like the rest of the planet loves to wear bags that are completely monogrammed with LV.

2) Lindsay looks lovely in this floral number that’s effortlessly layered with a sheer, white, button-down Neon yellow accessories are perfect for a pop of color this spring. She was also wearing a mint Prada bag, my favorite color this season! Her red locks remind me of her glory days; let’s hope she gets back on track!

3) Katy Perry has been making fashion statements everyday at Coachella! I like how she paired an ultra-feminine floral dress with ripped tights for a little bit of rock & roll! But I must say, those boots are FUGLY. I would have gone with some electric purple pumps. Speaking of electric purple, what do you ladies think of Katy Perry’s colorful hairstyles? I absolutely ADORE the purple. Lucky for Katy, she’s in an industry where wild works! If you’re tempted to add some color, but think it’s a bit much and your boss may freak, then be sure to check out Her Campus SDSU staff writer Olivia Hill’s blog post on dipped tips. Colored ombre tips are fabulous without being too over-the-top.

4) Katy Perry paid homage to the 90s with her goth-inspired getup. She’s definitely able to pull it off, looking hardcore. She even tweeted how she got her inspiration for the look from The Craft, a 1996 teen horror film.
“In honor of Friday the 13th The CRAFT is the inspiration for this evenings lewk… #takemyscars #coachella”

5) Courtney Love is the last person to get fashion inspiration from! Katy Perry credits Love for this disaster, tweeting: “Today’s lewk (sic) is sponsored by courtney love, virgin suicides & fern gully #nymph.’”
This floral chiffon dress would have looked horrible even with a slip! The poofy sleeves and big red flower are bad enough! But the black bra, high-waisted underwear and combat boots destroy this look completely. Eww.

6) Emma Robert’s patterned pants are cool and a lace top hat is necessary in the L.A. heat! I think the lacy black crop top and colorful beads finish this look perfectly! Glee star, Chord Overstreet looks great to in this causal look.

7) Roberts wore a black and white bandeau swimsuit with a zip-up front beneath her see-through mesh dress, revealing her pale skin. Girlfriend, the weather is calling your name! Get a tan! I don’t love this look, but it’s alright. The pink socks are a cute touch and white trainers were a smart choice for a long day of rocking out! PS: The guy on the left has a cool Navajo print scarf. Love it!

8) This is one of my favorite Coachella looks this year. Hippie chic! I have nothing negative to say about this look. The Alice and Olivia maxi skirt flows beautifully and the bright stripes are perfect for springtime! The pink, purple and blue hair extensions complement the garland on her head and her reflective aviators. The teal and indigo tassel necklace beautifully draws attention to her bejeweled bikini top. Thank you, Paris, for living up to the name of the fashion capital.

9) Vanessa Hudgens rocks it Woodstock style! This is just one of her many boho looks at Coachella. You know I love Navajo prints, but it’s not easy mixing them with other patterns. Hudgens does a great job mixing prints; this bag does not clash with her black and white printed dress. The sheer thigh-high stockings unexpected but add a little edge to the look, along with those boots. The turquoise necklace and orange hat add just the right amount of color to complete the outfit, which has her giving off a relaxed vibe.

10) Dita Von Teese is famous for her 1940s burlesque style and is clearly a classic beauty! Her always impeccable pin-up hair and makeup works well with her 1960s inspired sunglasses. She effortlessly pairs an adorable polka-dot number with black wedges and a cinch belt, showing us that you can be relaxed and classy at the same time.

Get your hippie on, lovers! And keep an eye out for next week’s fashion piece that will look at 10 more celebrity looks at Coachella!

Aisha is a senior completing her last semester at San Diego State University.  Her experiences in very different parts of the world including Salt Lake City, Utah and the island of Penang in Malaysia have challenged her to develop into a interculturally competent person; one who can effectively work in multifaceted, result-driven environments and communicate with people from various ethnic and social backgrounds with an open mind. She has attended more than ten different schools with very different curriculums. She chose to pursue public relations and journalism because she wants to come “as close as possible to the heart of the world,” like Henry Luce.Her insatiable love for fashion, beauty and culture comes together perfectly in her position as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus SDSU. The management style and ambition that Aisha has is in part inspired by her father, an international entrepreneur and freelance journalist who has earned a reputation for being fervent and thought-provoking.She just completed a strategic PR proposal for her client, Freedom Ranch, and is currently interning at Gable PR. She plans on pursuing an M.B.A. in the future, with the hopes of establishing her own PR firm one day. She enjoys fashion, culture, the beach, playing soccer, music, traveling, gourmet food, shopping, writing, and socializing.
Jazmine is a freshman at San Diego State University in beautiful SO Cal. With plans to major in Communication and double minor in public relations as well as TFM (Television, Film, and New Media), she deeply enjoys reading, writing, and getting to know people around campus. As the founder and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SDSU, her hopes are high and she is confident the branch will be a wonderful success. While in her first year of college, she is learning how to be more involved around campus while maintaining her studies. After spending a few childhood years living in Europe and traveling internationally, Jazmine has a passion for learning about different cultures from all over the world, especially the different foods! Future plans? She intends to have a career in media, preferably at a fashion magazine, such as Seventeen, or work with a popular television network such as OWN. In her free time she enjoys being with friends, reading, photography, Sunday church, learning how to play the ukulele, organizing things, and spending hours in the beauty department at almost any store.