5 Must-Stop Locations on a Coastal California Road Trip

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

The classic road trip up the coast of California via Highway 1 is something everyone, especially California residents, should partake in sometime in their life. Living in San Diego and so close to LA, it’s so easy to get lost in the city life, however California has so much more to offer. This summer, my friends and I are spending a couple weeks traveling up the coast from LA to Eureka and below are a handful of spots that we will be stopping at. 

1. Big Sur

Obviously Big Sur is a commonly known stop in between SLO and Santa Cruz, and for good reason. The views are spectacular and even has a restaurant that over looks the Santa Lucia Mountain Range. 

2. Mystery Spot, Santa Cruz

Located in the redwoods outside of Santa Cruz, the Mystery Spot is a gravitational anomaly that makes you question the laws of physics and gravity. My friends and I have been looking to visit here for over 2 years and we will finally get the chance next month. Check out these tourist pictures of the popular spot to see what the fuss is all about. 

3. Devil’s Punchbowl, Russian Gulch State Park

Located in Mendocino, CA, there is a short trail within the Russian Gulch State Park that leads you to the Devil’s Punchbowl. Visitors can look down into the sink hole where sea caves collapsed causing the punchbowl to exist. 

4. Fern Canyon

Within the Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park in Humboldt County you can find Fern Canyon, with beautiful scenery and a canyon covered in ferns and moss (hence the name). A fun fact about this place is that they filmed a scene of Jurassic Park 2: The Lost World here.

5. Mad River Beach, Arcata

Unlike the always crowded beaches in Southern California, this beach located in what is known as the Lost Coast because it’s in a less populated area, yet provides a beautiful view of the Pacific Ocean.

I am currently a sophomore at San Diego State majoring in Journalism with an emphasis in Public Relations. I have four years of experience as a writer and editor for my high school newspaper and am now one of the CC's for Her Campus SDSU. Taco Tuesday is my favorite day of the week, and yes, I am related to Abraham Lincoln.