Mother’s Day is just around the corner, which means it’s almost time to buy your mom a mother's day gift . Most years I’ve bought my mom a Hallmark card and the new book she has been wanting to read. However, this year I’d like to surprise her. I’ve often felt that the most simple and inexpensive gifts can be the most heartfelt.
Here are some creative gift ideas you can give your mom if you’re tired of buying traditional presents.
1) Create a goodie basket. Stock it full with some of her favorite items. You can get her bathroom essentials such as lotion, a bar of soap, a new razor, and another bottle of her favorite shampoo and put it inside a colorful basket.
2) Make her a scrapbook. This takes time, but if you have family photos that are lying around and taking up space, you might want to put them up to good use. Utilize your creative streak and find goofy action shots as well as serious photos. Years later she can look back and remember the good memories.
3) Do her makeup. Then have her wear a cute outfit. Take a glamour photo of her that highlights her best features. Afterwards, stick it in a nice frame for all to see.
4) Give her coupons. Make them out of little squares of paper and write something like “Good for one free pedicure.” Or you could offer to do chores around the house such as vacuuming or mowing the lawn.
5) Buy her flowers. If you don’t want to buy her roses, you can buy other types of flowers. According to Vanessa Diffenbaugh, author of The Language of Flowers, each flower has a different meaning. For example, Heliotrope means devoted affection while the Bellflower means gratitude. Buy her the book with an assortment of flowers and give her a unique message.
6) Treat her to her favorite dessert. If you’re really ambitious, you can even try to cook a full course meal to go with it.
7) Take her out to lunch to her favorite restaurant. That way, you can have good food while at the same time spending quality time with her.
8) Buy her a gift certificate to her favorite store so she can pick out her own presents. Offer to go with her so you can have a girl’s day of shopping and lunch.
9) Write her a handwritten letter telling her how much you appreciate her. Try to be as specific as possible so she knows how much she means to you.
10) Compile a book of quotes from her favorite celebrities or movie stars. Then whenever she is stressed, she can read them and feel inspired.
Hopefully, these suggestions will help you in your search for interesting gift ideas that won’t break your bank account. Who knows? She might be surprised and touched that you took the extra time to give her a special gift!