free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why You Should Take Sorority Girls Seriously

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

If I’m being completely honest, I used to be embarrassed to admit to people unaffiliated with Greek Life that I was in a sorority. While I love being in my sorority, I’m no stranger to the common stereotypes associated with sorority girls and I did not want to be associated with any of them. Since then, I have come to realize that I have no reason to be embarrassed. In fact, here are a few valuable things I’ve learned since joining a sorority.  

Public Speaking 

What’s scarier than speaking in front of 100 plus people? Personally, I can’t think of anything. Being in a sorority requires making announcements and giving presentations in front of your whole chapter. Practicing public speaking is definitely a skill that translates to class and work presentations.  

Everything about Recruitment 

You might hear us complaining about recruitment but, it’s honestly one of the most beneficial aspects of a sorority in my opinion. You’re perfecting your interview skills. You have to present yourself professionally and represent your whole sorority. You also learn to become more comfortable meeting new people and having conversations.  

Networking 

I’m sure you’re familiar with the phrase, “It’s not what you know, it’s who you know.” Being in a sorority gives you plenty of opportunities to meet people who can advance your career or act as mentors. There’s also an unspoken comradery between sorority sisters and people who participate in Greek life in general.  

How to Keep a Commitment 

Many people think that sorority girls just party and socialize all the time. Contrary to popular belief, we also have time commitments to keep. Attending weekly meetings and dedicating time to philanthropy helps keep us accountable. 

Real World Skills 

We joke about our matching t-shirts and trendy decorations at events, but these are actually things that can provide useful workplace skills. Formals and philanthropy events provide good opportunities to perfect event planning skills. Creating cute merchandise requires marketing and branding. Maintaining the sororities’ finances is good budget keeping practice. 

Overall, I wouldn’t trade my sorority experience for anything. I’m so glad I entertained the thought of joining and decided to go through recruitment. Not only have I made lifelong friendships, but I have also gained skills that will help me professionally.  

Tara Karanik is a sophomore student at Santa Clara University. In between late night studying for her Chemistry and History double major, her hobbies include binge watching puppy videos and Netflix. She is addicted to coffee and will most likely say she needs more coffee throughout the day. She has truly found a home at Santa Clara and looks forward to many more adventures as a Bronco.