This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

Most of my friends started wearing make-up around the start of middle school. I was a little behind the curve, but in seventh grade I finally asked my mom if I could start wearing mascara and a little bit of foundation. After many years of being an on and off make-up wearer, I find myself asking a few questions about something that was once so important to me. What is the history behind make-up? When should we or should we not wear it? What happens when we don’t?

The history

The practicing of wearing make-up dates back a long time. The earliest cosmetics users often wore make-up as part of religious rituals or in an attempt to better their health. Different trends in different areas often reflected the caste systems that existed in those times, as well.

More recently, around the 1900s, the use of make-up became more about creating a younger-looking appearance. Beauty salons starting popping up everywhere and they became hot spots for women.

It’s still a bit unclear as to how people started wearing make-up, but they did, and over time there have been many different trends in different parts of the world.

Rules on make-up?

Unfortunately, there is no how-to guide or list of appropriate occasions for when to wear make-up. The truth is, there are no set rules on when we should feel obligated to wear make-up or to not wear it (even though sometimes it can feel like there are).

Each person wears make-up for unique reasons, and contrary to popular belief, not everyone wears make-up to look good for other people. Many people wear it because they like the way it makes them look or feel. In the same way, many do not wear make-up simply because they don’t want to or they don’t feel like it.

No one is in the wrong here. Choose what is best for you and forget other people’s beauty standards. Feel like wearing mascara to the gym? Go for it. Don’t want to spend an extra fifteen minutes getting ready in the morning before class? Then don’t. Do whatever you feel most comfortable doing.

So you decided to go natural today…

The decision to not wear make-up is yours and if you choose it, own it. You might get a told a few times, “You look tired,” but who cares. I would much rather be told that than to accidentally rub my eye and get my mascara all over my face. Not wearing make-up can be an empowering experience; if you choose to do so, don’t be afraid to show off your natural beauty! Chances are, people won’t comment on your lack of make-up anyway.

At the end of the day, choosing to wear or not to wear make-up is entirely up to you. Whatever you choose, remember to respect other’s choices as well. Girls who love to rock a full face of make-up everyday and girls who go natural alike shouldn’t have to face any ridicule.

Choose what makes you feel like your best self and do it.