What Our Mothers Wish They Knew at Our Age

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

This Mother’s Day, we decided to turn to the wisest women we know for advice, our mothers.

“I wish I didn’t think I knew it all and took the advice and listen more to the wisdom of my parents – when I think back now to the advice they gave me I realize how right they were….listen to their stories because some day it may be too late…”

-Lori Baker Hardy, mother of Meaghan Hardy ’15

“I’m beautiful, I’m healthy, I’m young. Why didn’t I know how great I looked at this age?”

-Denise Grills, mother of Abby Grills ’15

“Start saving early for retirement”

-Judy Johnson, mother of Keyonna Smith ’15

“Having grown up in a foreign country with different expectations and cultural values, one thing I knew when I turned 21 was that I didn’t have to conform to the expectations of my youth.  Women in the Philippines were usually married and having children around 21. Having a career was not expected and families usually lived together under one roof.  This made raising children and caring for aging parents possible.  But here I was, in the United States, at 21 with a blank slate and no obligations to fulfill. I hope this generation of women and the others to follow will never feel that they have to “do this” or “be that”.  I hope they find their true passion early so that their lives are lived to the fullest.  I hope they find mentors and friends who will support their dream and encourage their true calling.”

-Anna Price, mother of Shannon Price ’15

“Take everything one step at a time. Life is a marathon, not a sprint.”

-Deepa Arora, mother of Jay Dubashi ’14

“I wish I knew that all the behavior traits that I thought I ‘inherited’ from my family were a choice to take on… or not. I wish I knew how important sleep was!! And that every hour you run short you have to make up sometime.”

-Lisa Knapp, mother of Marit Knapp ’15