emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What Not to Do on Black Friday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

It’s that time of year again. The time of a long and well deserved break, the time of holidays and of family, but also a time of craziness.  And you probably want to make the most of it—make amazing memories, get the perfect Christmas presents for the people you love, and just treat yourself. You definitely deserve to treat yourself. And what better way to do those things than go out on Black Friday for some (hopefully) guilt free shopping? Whether you love the rush of heading out early to get a discount on your favorite things, or just enjoy casual shopping to ease into the Christmas season, here are some tips for what not to do on Black Friday, so you can make the most of your time:

• Don’t go into stores and impulse buy a bunch of things without researching ahead of time. You’re probably not getting a good deal. A lot of stores like to pretend they have insane Black Friday deals, but it might just be their regular prices. Make sure it’s an actual good deal and not just the hype.
  • Don’t wait out in the cold for hours. It’s probably not worth it 99/100 times. (Yes, even in California) The last thing you want is to spend your holidays sick because you were out all night in the freezing cold.
  • Don’t fight anyone or risk getting hurt. This might seem like something you only see on TV, but believe it or not (I’m speaking from experience) it does happen in real life. It’s crazy what lengths people are willing to go to for a really good deal. If it means risking your life, let go of that perfect pair of boots.
  • Don’t shop without looking online for deals first. Sometimes, the same product will have a better deal online than in person. Another plus is you won’t have to deal with as many frantic shoppers and anxious people.
  • Don’t forget to keep the gift receipts/receipts, in case you do give into your urges and buy things you don’t need. It might be inconvenient returning a lot of stuff, but it’s better than cluttering your house with random things you bought that you’ll never use. Be careful and check for products that are not returnable.

Lastly, as much of a cliché this is, I just want to say don’t forget to have fun! Sometimes we get so wrapped up with saving money and making sure to snag everything on our lists that we forget to let loose and just have a good time. Hopefully these tips will help you get the bang for your buck while also having a fun time. Happy shopping everyone!

Sneha is a first year student and writer for HerCampus at Santa Clara University. She is obsessed with dog videos, mermaids, and referring to herself in third person. Her hobbies include strumming away on her guitar and singing to forget all her problems, binge watching Friends, and attempting to work out.
Laurel Fisher is a senior at Santa Clara University. She is double majoring in math and French. She loves traveling, scrapbooking, and anything to do with France. In her free time, she loves taking photos of just about anything, watching Netflix, eating delicious food, going to the gym, and spending time with her friends.