Ways To Get Involved In The Music Scene at SCU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

Being at Santa Clara is like living with a diverse group of celebrities; there are talented actors, journalists, activists and of course, musicians. Among all the different celebrities in the world, we can pretty much agree that musicians tend to be the coolest. Miley Cyrus, Taylor Swift, One Direction, these are all seriously cool people. Right?  Sarcasm aside, musicians are actually fun to be around. They open our eyes to creativity, warm our eyes with beautiful sound, and are awesome to hang out with. Basically, there is no reason anybody at SCU shouldn’t take the opportunity to get involved with our music scene on campus. Playing music is genuinely one of the best ways to express our emotions. Here are some of the best ways to get musically involved on campus:

The Singers: If you sang in your high school chorus or for some kind of vocal group, SCU is a great place to continue that passion, and it is surprisingly easy to get involved. There are four separate a capella groups on campus: Supertonic!, AudioSync, Vocalicious, and Measure Up. All of them are grouped together through the A Capella RSO. Auditions are held fall quarter and you can easily get in contact with any of the vocal groups by sending a quick message to one of their Facebook pages. Stop singing “Blurred Line”s in the shower and get over to one of these auditions. They’re mad good.    

The Jazz-ers: Check out the Jazz band on campus! The Jazz band is actually a one-credit course offered each term. If you missed the fall enrollment it is not that big of a deal because they still open their doors to participants. So swing on by (see what I did there?). You should have some experience before you head over there but don’t worry, it’s not super competitive. It’s common to feel like everybody is more mature/skilled than you at college but that just isn’t true, OTHER PEOPLE WANT TO PLAY MUSIC WITH YOU!

The Academics: If playing with other people seems daunting to you, then maybe you just needt to take some music lessons to tune up those skills. SCU’s music department offers private instruction every quarter, and it is FREE. If you ever thought about taking music lessons before then now is the time to do it! That is, unless you’re allergic to free things, in which case, I’m very very sorry.

New on campus this year is The Stable, a music club. Founded by Buddy Lorentz, The Stable is a group for musicians and artists alike to showcase and workshop their creative skills and passions. Sounds pretty legit, eh? Goals for this year are to have monthly open-mics for musicians on campus and weekly writing workshops and jams. The Stable can also act as bridge between the university and the students for music related business. They will be tabling at Benson in the next weeks so stop by and get the DL. [Note: The Stable is not the equestrian club.]                          

There are plenty of other ways to get involved musically here; there’s a Percussion Ensemble, a Mission Choir, Pep Band, and of course, the largest musical event of the each term—LOVE JONES! Don’t be nervous about getting jumping into one of these groups, you’ll love it when you get involved.

Photo source: https://www.sites.google.com/s…

Jake Lans is a sophomore at Santa Clara University majoring in English and minoring  in Sociology. Jake is from New York but moved out to California for the 'chill' college expereince. On campus, Jake is involved with The Stable at SCU, and he is the Fiction Editior for the Santa Clara Review, as well as working as a writer for Her Campus. He enjoys playing music, writing and reading, and skateboarding.