This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

Arguably the one of the best things about social media is the ability to be able to see peoples’ reactions to an event live. The 2016 presidential debates were no exception with memes, tweets, and images going viral immediately as they occurred. Here’s a collection of some of the best social media reactions to #DebateNight.

#TrumpBookReport

The Internet quickly swooped on Trump’s rhetoric during the second presidential debate—claiming that his logic was similar to a child’s book report. Within minutes, Twitter was swarming with these hilarious proposals.

#RejectedTrumpTVShows

This trend started out as a Trump-bashing one, poking fun at his many idiosyncrasies, but soon turned into a hashtag used by both sides. Which side used it better?

#ImWithKer

All those disappointed by the debate and by either candidate turned to an unexpected hero…Kermit the Frog.

Lawrence Police Department taking security measures

Was this a response to a number of calls? An emergency precaution? We’re left hanging after this interesting tweet by a police department in Kansas.

And finally, arguably the best figure to emerge from the debates…Ken Bone

Why Twitter latched onto this innocent man in a red sweater remains a mystery. Yet Bone’s question about environmental policy captured the web and led to a cascade of memes, costumes, and… a pizza menu? Go figure.

What was your favorite social media reaction to the debates?

SaveSave

Bethool is in her second year studying Biochemistry and Philosophy. She loves reading all kinds of books, photography, exploring the great outdoors, and playing music.
Laurel Fisher is a senior at Santa Clara University. She is double majoring in math and French. She loves traveling, scrapbooking, and anything to do with France. In her free time, she loves taking photos of just about anything, watching Netflix, eating delicious food, going to the gym, and spending time with her friends.