The Second Annual Slut Walk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

To end Sexual Assault Awareness Month, Feminists for Justice, a program of the Empowerment division of SCCAP, held their second annual SlutWalk on Friday, April 28th. SlutWalk is an international movement started by Amber Rose in 2011. The Amber Rose Foundation’s mission for the walk is, “To deliver a flawlessly executed event geared toward raising awareness about sexual injustice and gender inequality. The Amber Rose SlutWalk aims to impact and uplift while shifting the paradigm of rape culture.” The walk is dedicated to ending rape culture, victim blaming, slut shaming, and sexual violence in general. Feminists for Justice partnered with other organizations such as Violence Prevention Program and HeForShe to make this a day to remember. With poster making, a rally, and performers, the second annual SlutWalk was a success.

There are lots of misconceptions surrounding SlutWalks. Many believe it’s just a day for women to walk around wearing little clothing in public, but it’s so much more than that. It’s a day to end misconceptions that blame a woman’s clothing for her assault. SlutWalks around the world empower women to dress how they want because what a woman wears should not be an excuse to take advantage of her, under any circumstances. SlutWalks are so important in the fight to end victim blaming and sexual violence.

This event further created a feeling of solidarity on the Santa Clara Campus as many students came out to support this movement. Although there have been tensions between the administration and organizations such as Feminists for Justice, this event gives us hope for the future and the ending of sexual violence.

There is hope that events like these will continue to reach a wide audience and help everyone understand the importance of ending sexual violence against all genders.

More information on the SlutWalk and the Amber Rose Foundation here.

Mara Strong is a freshman at Santa Clara University where she is studying English and Philosophy. She loves everything Hamilton and is proud to call herself a Ravenclaw.
Laurel Fisher is a senior at Santa Clara University. She is double majoring in math and French. She loves traveling, scrapbooking, and anything to do with France. In her free time, she loves taking photos of just about anything, watching Netflix, eating delicious food, going to the gym, and spending time with her friends.