SCU Campus Makeover

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

SCU’s campus seems to be improving constantly these days.  As of late we’re seeing almost as many construction workers as students! It’s almost impossible to keep track of all the new additions to our campus. Here is a list of all the present and future changes we have heard about:

Current Construction Projects

Food Truck Plaza – Our first real on campus alternative to Benson — what a feat! Santa Clara just laid down bricks and set up a few really nice tables outside O’Connor. You’ll have to check it out to see which food trucks SCU picks.

Walsh and McLaughlin Connection – They’re finally uniting the Unity RLC!! This is really exciting for…no one.

Future Construction Projects

New Art Building – SCU tore down restaurants by The Hut (RIP Henry’s burritos) to put up a $28 million art and art history building. The building will be connected to campus by another brick road on Franklin Street.

Law Library Conversion – The law library will be replaced by another engineering building upon the completion of a new law building by Lucas Hall.

Daly Science Demolition – If you’ve ever had class in that old science building, you know it just isn’t the nicest place on campus. I don’t suspect many will protest the old eyesore getting torn down.

New Dorms – Santa Clara’s student body is growing quickly. SCU is putting in new dorms across the street from Dunne and in Sobrato’s parking lot to account for the larger incoming classes.

Amphitheater – Rumor has it, SCU has a long term plan to replace Kennedy Commons (in Swig lawn) with an amphitheater. Does that mean outdoor concerts?!

This list raises a few questions. What about a gym that is big enough for more than 12 people? Where does the campus Jamba Juice fit into all of these plans? And why didn’t SCU do all of this cool construction before we got here?!