San Jose City Council Candidate: Jose Lujano

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

You thought your finals week was busy? Try balancing that with running for San Jose City Council! I got the pleasure of sitting down with Jose Lujano, who’s doing that and much, much more.

Tell me more about what you’re doing with the city council?

I’m running for San Jose City Council, it’s the10th largest city. I’m running in District 7, which is my own district and where I grew up. It’s a full-time job, like anything else, but I’m really interested in it because of the service aspect and wanting to serve my community.

How old are the people involved in city council?

The youngest people on City Council are in their mid-40’s, making me by far the youngest in the race! I think I may even be the youngest to ever run in the city…

What made you get interested in City Council?

I’ve always had a dream to serve the community; it’s a very important part of my being to stand up for what I believe in since I care a lot about my community. I care a lot about the social injustices and crimes that happen. I went through the system recently so it’s all still fresh in my mind and it motivates me to be able to give everyone something that I didn’t have.

I’m really in awe, this is just so impressive. Are the other members on City Council accepting of you?

Honestly, no. They think that I haven’t done my time and that I’m stepping in too early, but I don’t really care.

Have you always known this was the path for you?  

I would say that this is more of a recent thing, because I never thought that I’d end up here so soon. I’ve had some great experiences around the world: I got to work abroad for the Labor Party in the UK, I got the Panetta Internship that took me to Washington, D.C. to work at the Capitol. All these things have really taught me how to be a good leader and community servant. Some friends told me to run for city council and once I looked into it, I realized that the candidates running weren’t good enough.

Where do you see yourself if you get elected to the city council? In 10 years?

We have term limits, and each term is 4 years and you can serve a maximum of 8 years. If the stars were to align and I was elected this year, in 8 years I would be out of office and after that I’m not entirely sure. I hope that in 10 years I can be someone that can speak on behalf of my city and issues and be someone that is trusted to represent the community.

What if you don’t get elected? What’s your back up plan?

If lose this time around, this current primary, then I’ll cry—just kidding. No, if I lose the primary, I’ll for sure stay in the community. I really want to make sure my movement is a legitimate one and a real social movement. Whatever keeps me in the community, I’m not going anywhere!

How do you balance school and running for council?

I’ve pushed myself to do a lot, and it’s helped me grow a lot. I manage my time really well. Sometimes I cancel everything and sleep in, but only sometimes! But if anyone who is younger is reading this and thinking that they could never do all this, don’t sell yourself short. As a freshman or sophomore, hell no I couldn’t have done this. It takes a lot of responsibility and maturity.

Would you ever consider running for president?

Ever since I was a kid people have said, “you’re the next president,” but I don’t think so…but Washington, D.C. had a tremendous impact on me and really put things in perspective for me. I would certainly, certainly, certainly go back to Washington, D.C. and it would be an honor to be an elected to the House of Representatives.

Quick Fun Facts:

Grade: Senior

Favorite Color: Blue

Favorite Ice Cream: Chunky Monkey

Tie or Bow Tie: Tie, you should see my collection!

Republican or Democrat: Democrat

Favorite US President: John F. Kennedy

Get #JoseForSanJose on Facebook and Twitter trending and like Jose Javier Lujano on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/JoseForSanJose!