Reasons You Should Study Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

You’ve probably heard some people talk about their time studying abroad. They get excited and nostalgic, and then they can’t shut up about it. As cliché as it sounds, studying abroad is a rare, magical time in a college student’s life. After studying abroad over the summer in London, I can say that there is nothing like it. It is a time for personal growth and exploration, and so much more.

One of my favorite things about studying abroad was being in a totally different society. Sure, you can go to different regions in the US and get some different flavors, but living in a different country is a totally different meal. Kristina Howard (class of 2015) says that, “There are so many new things to experience- language, architecture, food, people, schooling system, everything! Every day in itself is a new adventure. You almost forget that you are there for school, but the things you learn outside the classroom are truly the most valuable.”

Another amazing part of studying abroad is getting to explore the regions around you, whether its going to a neighboring town or to a totally different country. Paige Fery (2016) says that she loves traveling because, “You learn a lot about yourself and people in general that you wouldn’t traveling with your family or within the US.” Traveling by yourself or with different people allows you to grow in unexpected ways. You gain a sense of independence and confidence. As Claire Sommer (2016) puts it, “There is something about traveling to new places and stepping outside your comfort zone that pushes you to embrace a completely different side of you. It is the best way to learn more about yourself.”

While I loved the chance to travel, my favorite part was getting to experience all that London had to offer for me. I had been to London before, but nothing like this. I was able to find my favorite spots, go to the neighborhood pub, explore the markets, and feel like a local. You also have an amazing opportunity to meet people from the area that you wouldn’t normally have the chance to meet. I always loved talking to locals and finding their favorite restaurants or places in the city. Especially in a big city like London, there is always something new to discover, and the locals can help you along.

There is no one part about studying abroad that is especially great, because the whole experience is so different from your normal routine. I think Paige put it best when she said, “I think my favorite part was pushing myself to try and do new things that I wouldn’t have otherwise.” You’re in such a different environment that you need to push yourself. You may never have another chance to live in another country in your life, and studying abroad is a great way to gain that experience.

While I could go on and on about study abroad, I can’t sum it up much better than Claire:

“It’s one of those things in life that you hear people talk about so much– like going to college or starting a career. You can watch so many people go before you but you never truly grasp that it will happen for you until you are completely uprooted and thrust into a foreign country. It is such a beautiful chapter in life because you are forced out of your comfort zone. You have the choice to be scared or embrace it. Upon embracing all that a new country has to offer, the possibilities are endless. Your worldview expands, you learn more about your own likes and interests, you discover new friendships and you make memories to last a lifetime. Once the travel bug bites you, there is no turning back.”

Natalie started as Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Santa Clara in the fall of 2014. She is a senior English major, and no, she doesn't want to be a teacher. If she has any free time, chances are you'll find her reading with a cup of tea at her side or lying in bed binge-watching Netflix.