Please Please Please Recommend Something Other than Jasmine Thai

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

So here’s the thing: I love food. Like, really love it. I’m not one of those people who post photos on Instagram of a large ice cream with the caption, “about to eat this whole thing!!” and then eat approximately two bites. I eat the whole thing.

When I moved out to California two and a half years ago to attend SCU, I wasn’t sure what to expect. I’m an east coaster born and raised, and let me tell you—food is a lot different out here than it is back home. Apart from the fact that everything is 10 times healthier, there are different varieties, restaurant chains I’ve never heard of, and food that you would think tastes the same, but doesn’t.

I arrived at Santa Clara in the fall of 2014 and I didn’t know where to eat other than Jasmine Thai, where I order the beef and green beans literally every time. I know right, so Thai. Now that it’s been a couple of years, I’ve gotten to do a bit of exploring around the area and have found some places that make me feel less overwhelmed on the weekends (especially when living on campus, because Benson decides you don’t need to eat on Saturday and Sunday). After extensive research (as previously stated, I like food so I’ve been to a lot of places) here are my top recommendations:

1. Mikayla’s Café

Disclaimer: I LOVE breakfast food. I could eat breakfast food everyday for the rest of my life and live a happy and unhealthy existence. But, in an effort to continue to fit into my jeans, I try to eat it just once a day. If you’re looking for a delicious breakfast filled with French toast, eggs, or red velvet pancakes, Mikayla’s is for you.

When I went a couple of weekends ago on a rainy Saturday morning I was very, very hype about some carbs drowned in syrup. I got there around noon, the line was pretty long and I was bummed, but decided I had already made it this fair I might as well wait. THIS WAS THE MOVE. I have not had French toast that life changing in a long time. When I had devoured all six beauteous pieces, I had already long forgotten about the wait.

2. Chef Ming’s

As mentioned above, I am an east coaster, and over there, we know how to do Chinese food. By Chinese food, I mean the very Americanized, in no way authentic, Chinese food. But hey, it’s delicious! When I came out here I realized that Chinese food just isn’t as popular. In the mood for Thai food? Sushi? You’re set. But when it comes to Chinese, most people send you on over to Panda Express which is really really not authentic Chinese food.

About a week ago my boyfriend took me to Chef Ming’s, and I felt right at home again. After vacuuming up some Orange Chicken and Mongolian Beef, I was at peace. Oh, and of course, can’t forget the rice they brought out in a cute little boat! Pro tip: give people food in a cute bowl and it will taste 100 times better no matter what. 

3. Mio Vicino

Believe it or not, about a two-minute walk away from Jasmine Thai, there are actually other restaurants. One of my personal favorites, Mio Vicino, is the place to go if you’re craving some delicious Italian food. If you love carbs, like me, this should go on your list.

While not fancy, Mio Vicino is a great place to go when your parents come to visit, when you and your boyfriend/girlfriend want a date night, or when you want to #treatyoself and have a meal where they put tablecloths on the tables. No matter the reason, you will leave with a belly full of scrumptious pasta (in my case pesto pasta) and the feeling that you actually ate at a decent restaurant for the first time since you’ve been back at school.

4. Psycho Donuts

I know I already mentioned breakfast food, but in my opinion these donuts are more dessert than breakfast. That being said, I would 100 percent go here in the morning because… why not? It’s so good! Among your regular donuts, Psycho Donuts has 30 other insanely unique options. Do you like s’mores, Nutella, cinnamon rolls, or German chocolate cake? All of these can be found in the beautiful shape of a donut.

When I went to Psycho Donuts, right after my very healthy meal at MOD pizza, it was later in the day and most of the donuts were sold out. So being the adventurous person that I am, I got a standard chocolate glazed donut. But let me tell you this was THE BEST chocolate glazed donut I’ve ever had. Now I may not know a lot of things but I do know donuts. As I’ve said a thousand times, I’m from the east coast, the land of Dunkin Donuts, but this donut (I’m so sorry, Dunkin) was even better.

If you’ve made it with me to the end of this article, I thank you. Who knew I could go on for so long about food? I did.

Olivia is a Junior at Santa Clara University. She is a Communications and Anthropology Major. Her passions include photography, netflix and corgis.
Laurel Fisher is a senior at Santa Clara University. She is double majoring in math and French. She loves traveling, scrapbooking, and anything to do with France. In her free time, she loves taking photos of just about anything, watching Netflix, eating delicious food, going to the gym, and spending time with her friends.