This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

The misconception in being a vegan lies in the fact that when some people pretentiously tell you that they’re a “vegan,” it is to be assumed that they survive on leaves and quinoa and the occasional strawberry or almond. With the help of two close friends (thank you for answering my texts at all hours asking if Funyuns are vegan), I set out to prove that being a vegan can still be easy and fun-ish. I decided to test myself and see if I could avoid animal products Monday through Friday despite being stressed all the time and craving a block of gouda and a whole pizza. This is where it took me.

Day 1:

Breakfast:

·      Almond milk latte

·      Avocado toast

·      Banana

Lunch:

·      Salt and pepper pistachios

·      Edamame

·      Thin Mints (VEGAN!!!)

Dinner:

·      Vegan mac n cheese (!!!!)

·      Vegan buffalo chicken wrap

·      Vegan cauliflower mashed potatoes with mushroom gravy

Day 1 thoughts: Wow that was easy, I ate a sleeve of Girl Scout cookies and I didn’t feel bad about myself because they’re ~vegan~. The vegan mac n cheese from Veggie Grill is better than real mac n cheese. I can totally do this for another four days. This is so0o0o0 easy.

Day 2:

Breakfast:

·      More thin mints (sorry, Mom!)

·      Kind bar

Lunch:

·      Bobo’s Oat Bar (peanut butter and jelly)

·      Banana

·      Almond milk latte

Dinner:

·      Brown rice with sautéed broccoli, spinach, and mushrooms

·      Sour patch kids (VEGAN!!!)

Day 2 Thoughts: I miss cheeseburgers. And pizza. And cheese.

Day 3:

Breakfast:

·      Almond milk latte

·      Avocado toast

·      Kale, peach, banana smoothie

Lunch:

·      Wrap with vegan ham & spinach

·      Pistachios

·      Thin mints

Dinner:

·      Edamame

Day 3 thoughts: Today I almost cried because I couldn’t eat pizza. My roommate asked me if I was okay, and I told her to “leave me here to die.” Day three was rough.

Day 4:

Breakfast:

·      ½ Bobo’s Oat Bar

Brunch:

·      Eggs benedict with a side of fruit (oops)

Dinner:

·      “Chicken” nuggets

Day 4 thoughts: #noregrets about cheating because IT’S BRUNCH AND WHAT DO YOU EXPECT ME TO DO??? After conferring with my vegan friends, my worst fears were confirmed: it’s nearly impossible to go out to brunch and eat anything besides an overpriced fruit cup. I searched the internet for a vegan Hollandaise sauce recipe for an hour.  

Day 5:

Breakfast:

·      Second half Bobo’s Oat Bar

·      Almond milk latte

Lunch:

·      Raspberries, blueberries, banana

·      Pistachios

Dinner:

·      Green salad

·      Sweet potato fries

Day 5 thoughts: I came back strong from my eggs benedict-fueled moment of weakness and finished day 5 strong by avoiding animal/dairy products. Being a vegan is HARD and watching my Grandma eat bacon cheese fries is NOT FUN.

Overall thoughts: Though I struggled a few times throughout the week with being vegan, overall I have to admit that it was not so difficult a feat. I felt better without ten pounds of cheese in my system, and I had more energy. I also noticed that I slept better at night. I think that going vegan is definitely something that requires a lot of discipline, and if I had more discipline in the nutrition area of my life (I can’t resist a good brie— I am not Superwoman) I would probably do it long-term. But since I do not think that is an attainable goal for me, I have made a vow to just eat less animal products and more ~*plant based*~ foods. After all, Thin Mints are vegan, and I could survive on those alone.

sJess Seandel started writing for Her Campus this fall. She is a sophomore Accounting major with a minor in Retail Studies. In her spare time, you'll find Jess listening (dancing) to Christmas music year round, singing karaoke (horribly), watching crime shows on Netflix, and eating pizza. 
Victoria is a senior at Santa Clara University and is a History and Spanish double major with double minors in Political Science and Anthropology. A native Los Angelino, she's a huge Kings & Dodgers fan & will defend her favorite teams fiercely. Lover of Netflix, popcorn, & mint moose tracks ice cream. You can basically count on finding her snacking, binge-watching Game of Thrones, or in the library (sometimes all three at the same time).