This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

My name is Sofia, and I am a shopaholic.

My favorite day is the first day of each month—the day I get my monthly allowance. That means the second day of each month is time to shop! Just kidding, every day is time to shop. I have always loved to shop, and this was never really a problem, until recently. My tastes became pricier, and I began making trips to the mall every weekend.

I also love to travel. With airfare prices so high lately, I realized in order to make all my travel plans possible this year that I would have to start saving. So, on the 30th of September, one shopaholic set off on a no-shopping spree. Of course, J-Crew’s new line just had to be released around this time. How could I not buy the adorable striped dress perfect for my next Sunday brunch?! But, I resisted.

Avoiding shopping is easier during the week than on the weekends because I get caught up in schoolwork, classes, and extracurriculars.

On Wednesday, I broke down and bought a new outfit and two white tees from Brandy Melville. $100 well invested…in my closet.

The next week rolled around and Madewell was having an extra 30% off sale. That means everything is on double sale! Yay! I promptly proceeded to scroll through 11 pages of sale items and carefully selected 3 tank tops and 2 pair of sandals. Total came to $200. I left my browser open on the checkout page for a few more days and then caved in, because these were all fall ‘essentials’.

After Madewell left a hole in my wallet, I avoided shopping for two weeks. Then with lots of homework and midterms coming up, it was time to de-stress. I headed out to Santana Row with some H&M gift cards to spend (that doesn’t count as real money) to quell my need to shop. I never shop at H&M, and I didn’t find anything this time either.

So I went to Urban Outfitters, overpriced hipster heaven. I really wanted to spend $89 on the perfect fall dress, but I resisted the urge and sent myself straight back to the sale section where I tried on a few things, like a denim skirt that was on sale for $9.99. $9.99 is so cheap I might as well just own the skirt already. Unlike my usual self, I found myself questioning how much I actually liked the skirt, telling myself denim skirts aren’t really my style, and if I really wanted the skirt I could come back to buy it later. I left the store with $9.99 to save. It’s the little victories that count.

A non-shopping spree, or a spending diet as I like to call it, literally works like a regular diet. At first you want to eat everything you just pledged to give up (or buy the entire J-Crew fall line). As time goes on things get a little bit easier and you only cheat on your diet with a treat once a week (or a binge at Brandy). And once you’ve been on your diet for a while, you realize its actually not that bad and you’ve kind of gotten used to it. I’m now three weeks into my shopping diet and I don’t have the constant urge to shop like I used to.

My bank account is still pretty dry (sorry, I didn’t give up eating brunch at nice restaurants or Uber rides), but all the money that I could have spent shopping was deposited into my savings and will now pay for a trip to New York, woohoo!

To all my fellow shopaholics, I definitely recommend going on a spending diet. Once it’s over, don’t forget to reward yourself with a nice little gift, too. Find me at the Hermès store!

Sofia is from the San Francisco Bay Area and studies Political Science (plus a million other minors). Sofia writes about style, travel, food and coffee on her blog, www.sofialeyla.com . In her free time, catch her hammocking by Bellomy Field or finding her zen in yoga class.
Laurel Fisher is a senior at Santa Clara University. She is double majoring in math and French. She loves traveling, scrapbooking, and anything to do with France. In her free time, she loves taking photos of just about anything, watching Netflix, eating delicious food, going to the gym, and spending time with her friends.