Culture > News

Let’s Hear It For the Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

The Silicon Valley really is full of kick-ass women.

A couple weeks ago on Thursday, May 7, the Silicon Valley Business Journal honored a group of women who were selected as the 100 Women of Influence of 2015 at an event that included a cocktail hour, dinner, and awards ceremony at the Fairmont Hotel in downtown San Jose. More than 800 people took part in the celebration of some of the Silicon Valley’s wonder women.

Each year, the Silicon Valley Business Journal puts on the event to honor those who have received nominations and been selected for the prestigious award. The group consisted of leaders in business, art, education, law, transportation, urban planning, development, and more, leading them to be recognized for the contributions they make to community improvement.

Dr. Kristine Borrison, a doctor at Good Samaritan Hospital in San Jose, gave the opening remarks. As each woman’s name was announced, they were asked to answer one question before receiving their award: “What is the single best piece of advice you ever received?” Each woman had something unique to say, many sharing one of their favorite pieces of advice that their moms gave them.

Santa Clara alum Aimee Catalano after receiving her award

The Santa Clara University Leavey School of Business was one of many sponsors of the event, and Dean Drew Starbird of the business school had the honor of announcing some of the honorees. But Bronco involvement doesn’t end there: six Santa Clara alumnae were honorees at the event, three having received graduate degrees in business, two in law, and one an undergraduate degree in political science.

Tina Kapoor, a downtown coordinator for the City of San Jose, had some excellent advice for the audience and garnered one of the loudest applauses of the evening. She said, “Never underestimate the power of a woman who knows what she wants.”

By showcasing 100 women each year who stand out as leaders and change makers in their communities, the incredible women of the Silicon Valley get the recognition that they deserve. Celebrating the accomplishments of these amazing women created an atmosphere that was both exciting and empowering.   

For a full dose of female empowerment, you can read the bios of the 100 inspiring women here. Also, if you know a woman who should be nominated for next year’s awards, you can nominate her here.

Source for Photo 1: Jenni Sigl

Source for Photo 2: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/gallery/189731?r=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.biz…