alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

I Don’t Know Anyone in Benson: An Existential Crisis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

I love college. It’s the best. I’m surrounded by my friends, I live in an amazing location where “cold” is 50 degrees, and there’s always something in bloom.

You want to know the one downside to college? The part that honestly just sucks? It ends. I have to graduate. WHAT? Can we not have that happen? Please?

When I was freshman, senior year felt like an eternity away. I had this long list of all of the things I wanted to do in my four years at school. But now here I am, over halfway done with my junior year. I have so many things left that I want to do, and I’m not happy about it.

This revelation came to me on one of my first few days back this quarter after I had been studying abroad in Spain last quarter. I was walking through Benson one morning when I realized—I didn’t know anyone. Not a single person.

I felt old. All of my friends have now moved off campus too, and are busy with work or internships on top of their classes. Benson has now been filled, once again, with freshmen that have four whole years of amazing experiences in front of them.

In this moment, I recognized the fact that post-college life – real life – is approaching, and it’s approaching quickly. While I’m excited for the future, it wasn’t until this moment that I finally got it. The future just isn’t that far away anymore.

Olivia is a Junior at Santa Clara University. She is a Communications and Anthropology Major. Her passions include photography, netflix and corgis.
Laurel Fisher is a senior at Santa Clara University. She is double majoring in math and French. She loves traveling, scrapbooking, and anything to do with France. In her free time, she loves taking photos of just about anything, watching Netflix, eating delicious food, going to the gym, and spending time with her friends.