I’d Like to Thank the Academy…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

I’d like to thank the academy for once again, nominating movies for Best Picture that I have never, ever, heard of. Every year as soon as February rolls around I get super amped for award shows, especially the Oscars.

One year in high school I decided to challenge myself and watch all of the movies that were nominated for Best Picture. Now, some of you may say: Olivia is that really a challenge, or just an excuse for you to watch more movies? And to that I would say “no comment.”

After many rigorous hours of watching movies in my bed and avoiding my real responsibilities, I felt prepared for the Oscars. I had watched Solomon Northup’s unjust capture and heroic escape in 12 Years a Slave, felt Theodore’s anguish as he realized he could never really be with the computerized-woman he fell in love with in Her, and held my breath for over 90 minutes as I waited for Ryan to make her way back down to Earth in Gravity.

All of these movies were vastly different, but allowed me to step out of my comfort zone and experience different types of films. That year I promised myself that I would continue this new tradition every year. Shockingly, this did not end up happening when I went to college.

This year I felt inspired again after I saw La La Land with my sister over Christmas vacation. I was then on a mission to once again watch all nine movies nominated for the “Best Picture” category. With a little over a week left to go I still have some movies to watch but, if like me, you want to know what the movies nominated for are about, here are my thoughts on four of the movies nominated:

1. La La Land

When I first heard about La La Land I was less than excited. I’m not super into musical movies and I was worried that La La Land would be extremely cheesy. When the movie opened up, there was this massive musical scene on a highway in L.A. and I began to sink in my seat, not looking forward to the next two hours. Within the next 10 minutes my mind had already been changed.

What I believed was going to be a cliché movie about show business in LA, turned out to be a beautiful and very realistic story of a young couple trying to find their way in their respective entertainment fields. As Mia and Sebastian struggle to find their place, they run into each other – literally – and begin to fall in love (I know that sounds cheesy but I promise you it was cute!).

Photo courtesy of this source.

As time progresses, Sebastian’s career path begins to change, putting a strain on his relationship. While I don’t want to ruin the movie for you, let me tell you that the ending is unexpected but at the same time very honest and beautiful. Their story reminds you that not everything turns out how you wanted it to but that doesn’t necessarily mean that you didn’t find your success or happiness.

2. Hacksaw Ridge

To be completely honest, I’m not a fan of World War II movies. I know that sounds super specific, and it is, but it’s true. I decided to watch Hacksaw Ridge first because I knew if I didn’t I would continue to become more and more discouraged to watch it. I took the plunge and in the end was told a very unexpected story.

Desmond Doss, a young man from Virginia is a conscious objector. Doss refuses to pick up a gun or inflict harm on another human being, a sentiment not shared by many people during World War II. Although Doss doesn’t believe in violence, he does believe in serving his country and signs up for the army with the intention of becoming a medic.

This movie, based on a true story, was not an easy one to watch. Not because the acting wasn’t good or because the plot line was flat, but because the film portrayed the horrors of war so accurately that it was almost too hard to watch. Desmond Doss’ story reminded me what war really is and that reality was difficult to accept.

Photo courtesy of this source.

3. Manchester by the Sea

If you like to cry in movies, which I do not, this movie is for you. This was one of the most tragic movies I have seen in a long time and to be honest, I really wasn’t a fan. Apparently Manchester by the Sea has received countless awards, but in my personal opinion, the movie just wanted to throw out every possible tragedy until it ran out of ideas.

The story follows Lee Chandler who goes back home to take care of his nephew after his brother died. Throughout the movie (WARNING: all of the spoilers ahead) we learn that not only did his brother die, his brother’s wife left him after he got sick, Lee’s wife left him after their three children died in a fire that Lee was basically responsible for, and in the end Lee decides he isn’t able to take care of his nephew because it is too painful. Honestly I can’t think of even one more tragic thing that could have been added to that plot line. While I understand that some movies can be tragic and beautiful, Manchester by the Sea seemed tragic and unresolved, leaving me feel unsatisfied and disheartened.

Photo courtesy of this source.

4. Arrival

Now I’m a bit biased because I love movies about aliens, but Arrival was AH-MAZING. The story follows Louise Banks as she attempts to communicate with Earth’s new invaders. The movie reminds us of the power of communication and the importance of trying to understand those different from ourselves.

Photo courtesy of this source.

Not only does the movie make powerful commentary on our society, it is also super confusing, but in the best way. If you like Inception or Interstellar, YOU MUST see this movie. My one recommendation: if you’re not great at understanding complicated movies like these on the first watch (like me), watch with someone who is into the whole moving-through-time and time-as-a-medium thing. I may or may not have stopped the movie several times to ask for clarification.

While I still have a few more movies to see, I must say that I have so far been overwhelmingly impressed. I guess there is reasoning behind the nominations of these movies!

Olivia is a Junior at Santa Clara University. She is a Communications and Anthropology Major. Her passions include photography, netflix and corgis.
Laurel Fisher is a senior at Santa Clara University. She is double majoring in math and French. She loves traveling, scrapbooking, and anything to do with France. In her free time, she loves taking photos of just about anything, watching Netflix, eating delicious food, going to the gym, and spending time with her friends.