Healthy Eating 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

Ever look down and realize that you can’t see your feet anymore? Or just feel winded when you have walk to the third floor of Kenna? Do you casually eat Ben & Jerry’s ice cream straight from the container…and then realize that the whole pint is empty? If you answered yes to any of these questions, here are some health conscious tips to help you cut back the extra calories from snacking too much.

1.     Try snacking on apples and peanut butter!  Apples are sweet and satisfying snacks that fill you up, and peanut butter is full of protein that will help you stay fuller longer. The Cellar also offers containers of raspberries and blackberries, and there are a few different places on campus where you can get bananas or oranges! It’s good to get full on fruits rather than junk food, and it’s better to eat natural, non-processed foods than to shovel down cookies, brownies, and/or candy.

2.     Almonds or any kind of nut are a great source of fiber and protein. They are high in calories and fat, so be sure not to over-indulge, but nuts are natural and a way better alternative to eating chips and other packaged foods. Cutting back a little and making slight changes can make a huge difference!

3.     The Cellar offers some really great fresh vegetables that are perfect snacks to take with you on the go or to keep in your fridge. It’s impossible to eat too many veggies, so relieving your hunger with carrots or celery can deter you from wanting to eat something less healthy.

4.     Hummus is a snack food to eat with your veggies, and even pretzels too. Garbanzo beans comprise the base of hummus, and they are a great source of protein. Eating hummus with carrots makes the snack less bland but still healthy. 

5.     Try not to keep unhealthy food in your room. When there are chips and ice cream sitting just feet away from your desk or bed, you’re going to be so much more tempted to get up and take a handful or spoonful. If you want to have snacks lying around, try to have healthy ones so that you are forced to eat those when you are tempted to munch on something!

6.     Drink lots of water!! Keeping one of those handy dandy CamelBak or Swell water bottles with you will constantly remind you to drink water. Drinking more water can make you feel more full and less hungry, and as a result, cause you to snack less!

7.     Try to eat substantial meals with as many fruits and veggies as you can. Healthy meals will hold you over and prevent you from snacking as frequently.

8.     Treat yo self!!! But try to do this in small portions. Give yourself a taste of what you’re craving, like some dark chocolate, but try to not make a habit of frequently rewarding yourself with something unhealthy.

Victoria is a senior at Santa Clara University and is a History and Spanish double major with double minors in Political Science and Anthropology. A native Los Angelino, she's a huge Kings & Dodgers fan & will defend her favorite teams fiercely. Lover of Netflix, popcorn, & mint moose tracks ice cream. You can basically count on finding her snacking, binge-watching Game of Thrones, or in the library (sometimes all three at the same time).