This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

2016 is an incredibly important year for many Millennials and Generation Z, considering it’s the first presidential election we are eligible to vote in. Wow, what a truly historic election this is- two candidates who are really testing the morals of many young voters. This article is in response to one candidate in particular, the candidate who threatens everything that already makes this country great.

Mr. Trump, why are you attempting to reverse the result of a fight that ended over 45 years ago? Why is reversing a precedent over 45 years old that set forth so much progress for women a main goal for you? Do you realize that reversing this precedent will not stop women from exercising their right, but instead will greatly decrease the quality of health care provided to women? Your attempt at fear mongering is misguided. Women are often placed in unimaginable and painful positions where their life is in danger and an abortion is the only way to save them. Your plan to take away this right will leave women like Alyson Draper with little to no help and decreasing healthcare.

You claim that you support Planned Parenthood but removing federal funding will dismantle everything good that Planned Parenthood provides for young women and men. How can you support all of the good that Planned Parenthood does for women and still want to defund it?

Please tell me how you plan to run a country when you cannot provide examples of policy in debates and when you constantly contradict and switch your stances on issues. Regarding abortion, you were pro-choice up until you began running for president and then you switched sides simply because your party aligns to the pro-life stance. In this article published by the Washington Post, you claimed abortion was morally acceptable in certain cases, but then in the most recent debate, you used fear-mongering tactics to convey your pro-life stance.

Mr. Trump, you are an expert of dodging questions, specifically questions about policy. I watched the debates and all I wanted was to hear some sort of policies or strategies of how you were going to accomplish all of your goals. In the midst of interrupting and pouting like a child who didn’t get to play on the swing he wanted, I heard very little policy, other than explosive language about building a wall. My suggestion to you is maybe the next time you enter a debate, don’t continuously bring up your opponent’s significant other who has no importance in the current election. Would you want to be constantly compared and associated with your significant other’s beliefs? Focus on your own policies and don’t drag someone who was relevant 20 years ago into the conversation. Just because your opponent is a woman doesn’t mean she should be linked to every ideology her husband believes.

Not only did you dodge questions about your policy, you dodged questions about your comments on women. As a father, how can you tell another adult man that your daughter is “a piece of ass?” My father would never even consider saying something remotely similar to that about me or my sister and you can be d*mn well sure my father would not tolerate any man disrespecting her or me like you did your daughter. Is this considered “locker room talk,” too?

As a young female, I am constantly looking over my shoulder to make sure I am aware of my surroundings and that no one is following me, which I shouldn’t have to do in the first place. But now, I am way more aware of my surroundings because if a man like you becomes the leader of our nation, I don’t know what the future of young females entails. I hate to break this to you, Mr. Trump, but what you designated as “locker room talk” is actually sexual assault. Kissing or touching a woman without her consent is sexual assault. Grabbing “her by the p**sy” is unspeakable and degrading on so many levels, and yes, is most definitely sexual assault. Institutions already struggle with finding the right way to convey accurate representations on sexual assault (consider this article about Santa Clara’s own struggles), how can we expect to grow and be better with a leader who decriminalizes sexual assault? How can a man who humanizes sexual assault, something that plagues so many young adults and children, be trusted to run this country and be trusted to appoint Supreme Court justices?

Lastly, thank you. Because of your ridiculous antics and outbursts in politics, you have given me and many other young voters, young women in particular, a reason to give a d*mn about politics and the state of our country. Because of you, people began being open about politics and began talking to each other about what they want the future of this country to look like. For that and nothing else, I thank you.

Tara Karanik is a sophomore student at Santa Clara University. In between late night studying for her Chemistry and History double major, her hobbies include binge watching puppy videos and Netflix. She is addicted to coffee and will most likely say she needs more coffee throughout the day. She has truly found a home at Santa Clara and looks forward to many more adventures as a Bronco.
Laurel Fisher is a senior at Santa Clara University. She is double majoring in math and French. She loves traveling, scrapbooking, and anything to do with France. In her free time, she loves taking photos of just about anything, watching Netflix, eating delicious food, going to the gym, and spending time with her friends.