Famous SCU Alumni

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

Have you ever wondered which celebrities and political figures have walked the sunny grounds of our beautiful campus? Some of the most influential and prominent figures from virtually every profession have sat in the same seats you sit in (and yes, suffered through the agony of our repetitive cafeteria food just like you). Here are some of SCU’s best and brightest stars that have gone and made a difference in the world.

Politics

Leon Panetta ‘60 J.D. ‘63

Known as a “double bronco” Leon Panetta not only earned his undergraduate degree here but a law degree as well! Panetta served as the White House chief of staff during the Clinton administration and also served as the former U.S. secretary of defense during the Obama administration. He is also the former director of the CIA. Panetta currently serves as the director for the Leon & Sylvia Panetta Institute for Public Policy.

Fun Fact: He graduated magna cum laude with a degree in Political Science.

Janet Napolitano ‘79

Ranked as the world’s ninth most powerful women in the world by Forbes in 2009, Napolitano is certainly one of SCU’s all-stars. She served as the former U.S. secretary of homeland security during the Obama Administration and served as Arizona’s first woman Attorney General. Napolitano currently serves as the president of the University of California system. 

Fun Fact: Napolitano earned a Truman scholarship from SCU and graduated as valedictorian.

Entertainment

Shemar Moore ‘92

This hunky actor earned a degree in Communications here almost 35 years ago. Moore is most famous for playing Agent Derek Morgan on the hit show Criminal Minds. He also played Malcolm Winters on The Young and the Restless and was the host of Soul Train for a number of years.

Fun Fact: Shemar Moore modeled in college to pay off his bills!

Andy Ackerman ‘78

Andy Ackerman is a TV producer best known for his work for the hit show Seinfeld. . In addition to his success with Seinfeld, Ackerman also produced and directed shows like Two and a Half Men, The Ellen Show, and Cheers. He has won three prime time Emmys and a Golden Globe.

Fun Fact: Ackerman started out as an Accounting major but later changed to Communications (follow your dreams, kids).

Sports

Steve Nash ‘96

Quite arguably SCU’s most well-known alumni, two-time NBA MVP Steve Nash was once a Bronco like all of us. In addition to playing for the Los Angeles Lakers, Nash also played for the Phoenix Suns and Dallas Mavericks. He recently announced his retirement after eighteen years of playing in the NBA. He graduated from SCU as the all-time leader in assists.

Fun Fact: Nash led the Broncos to three NCAA tournament appearances. 

Brandi Chastain ‘91

While Steve Nash led the Broncos on the basketball court, Brandi Chastain led them on the soccer field. Chastain is a former professional soccer player for FC Gold Pride and the San Jose Rays. She was a USA team national player and won gold in the 1996 Olympics. She currently works at ESPN as a broadcaster. 

Fun Fact: Brandi Chastain led her team to two Final Four NCAA appearances. 

Who knows? Maybe one day you’ll join these names as some of SCU’s most notable alumni!

Victoria is a senior at Santa Clara University and is a History and Spanish double major with double minors in Political Science and Anthropology. A native Los Angelino, she's a huge Kings & Dodgers fan & will defend her favorite teams fiercely. Lover of Netflix, popcorn, & mint moose tracks ice cream. You can basically count on finding her snacking, binge-watching Game of Thrones, or in the library (sometimes all three at the same time).