Elevator Conversation: Awkward No More

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

As winter quarter is well under way, the excitement of fall quarter and new classes has come to a close.  For freshmen, this means that friends have been made, groups have been established, and the social excitement that existed during the first few weeks of school has calmed down into a steady and predictable routine.  Many have found themselves desperately asking, “How and where can I meet new people?!”  Lucky for you, the answer lies just beyond the front desk of Swig:  the elevator.

The precious moments we spend in the elevator present a prime opportunity to make witty conversation and learn about our fellow dorm-mates.  While you may think you already know everyone there is to know in your dorm, the elevator will prove otherwise.  Say goodbye to awkward silence by striking up a pleasant conversation with your elevator companions.  Whether you live on 10th floor Swig or 2nd floor Graham, an elevator ride can be the ticket to lifelong friendship and happiness.  Not convinced?  Here are the benefits of talking to someone in the elevator: 

1. You will probably see them again:  If you meet someone in the elevator of your dorm, you most likely both live there and will ride in the elevator together again.  This way your relationship will be able to form over time and eventually move outside the elevator.
  2. The meeting is short and sweet:  First impressions are everything, and there is no better place than an elevator to get a quick feel for the person you are talking to.  Think of this as a form of speed dating.
  3. It is unexpected:  People will be pleasantly surprised that you are talking to them and will therefore be more inclined to like you.
  4. It’s good practice:  In the working world, nothing is more crucial than a succinct and convincing “elevator pitch” in which you present what your product, organization, or business is about all within 30 seconds to a minute.  What better way to practice than actually talking to people in the elevator?

Finally, in order to make great friends in the elevator, execution must be impeccable.  The conversation must be quick, smooth, and light-hearted.  Sound daunting?  It is.  But with practice you will be able to make friends in a heartbeat. 

The first step is to muster up the courage to walk into the elevator look everyone in the eye and just say a casual and friendly “Hey.”  This lets everyone know that you mean business and are ready to make some friends. Remember: the timing on this first interaction is crucial—if you wait too long things will get awkward and saying something will be weird.  The next step is to make a quick assessment of the person—what are they wearing, carrying, which floor are they going to, do they look like fun, etc. This will help you figure out what your first move of conversation should be.  Do they live on a floor that your friend lives on?  Ask if they know them.  Are they carrying some sort of food item?  Ask what it is.  Don’t be afraid to be nosey.  And if worst comes to worst, just ask them how they’re doing.  A good friend always lets people know they care. 

So next time you get back to your dorm, give the stairs a break and take the elevator.  Your new best friend could be just a push of a button away!