Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

SCU Blog

How To Be Kind During Finals Week

By Shannon Price
March 17, 2014 - 3:37am

Imagine this: you walk out of a Week 10 “midterm” (Really, professor? Week 10?) and head to the library to prepare for tomorrow’s presentation.  When you get there, the person in front of you doesn’t look and you get a door shut in your face.  You hit up the café for some much needed coffee and feel hurried by the barista.  Suddenly, you’re not only exhausted, but annoyed and frustrated, too.       At finals time, it’s easy to feel like we are the most important people in the world, and that only our problems matter.  Well, sorry not sorry to burst your bubble, SCU. READ MORE

My Top 9 Culture Shocks Studying Abroad in Spain

By Abby Grills
February 23, 2014 - 4:29pm

1.  So much PDA. Spanish culture places a higher significance on visiting the home of a boyfriend or girlfriend. Because most people live with their parents through college and frequently even after, it is not as easy as it is in the US to spend time with a boyfriend or girlfriend at your apartment. This results in couples making out in public. Everywhere. This includes the metro, the streets, restaurants, and most commonly, in parks. At night especially, couples can be seen lying in the grass doing anything from cuddling to having sex. READ MORE

Valentine’s Day Activities: Singles Edition

By Regina V. Fields
February 13, 2014 - 2:24am

**Note: This article is a spoof! Do NOT take any of this seriously, or do any of the activities… unless you’re awesome.** Valentine’s Day Activities: Singles Edition There are a lot of fake holidays surrounding Valentine’s Day that are supposed to be “for the single people” … I’m looking at you, Galentine’s Day. If you’re single on Valentine’s Day, that’s all the more reason to celebrate the occasion of love… and how you will totally find it… and not with your cat Billy… (though he does look good in a bowtie). This whole article is going to be about how to love yourself, and remind yourself that you are the only person you will ever truly need. READ MORE

Ripped From the Headlines: This Week at SCU

By Her Campus Santa Clara
January 26, 2014 - 11:27pm

“High Hopes for SCU Beer Die Team in Sochi Winter Olympics”  “SCU Girls Scared to Walk to any Starbucks Within 1 Block Radius: Campus Safety Launching Companion Program” “Student Shocked to Learn Santa Clara is Going to the Super Bowl” "Students Attending Dalai Lama Campus Visit Disappointed to Find Animal on Stage" “Engineer Reportedly 'Humble and Quiet' When Asked About Major” "Freshman Student Happy to Explain Stress of Finals Week to Fellow 20 Year Old, Living in Slums of Mumbai" READ MORE

10 Thoughts Regarding Gender and Feminism

By Mary Zamojski
December 23, 2013 - 5:20pm

READ MORE

You Know You're From SCU When...

By Lauren Liu
December 14, 2013 - 4:38pm

Everything, every year, every distinct moment in our lives has different songs, images or stories that help you identify and represent those unique moments, people and places. For example, every time you hear “Wrecking Ball” in the future don’t tell me you are not going to think of the first three months of this school year…thanks Miley. You go girl.  So in light of such “sensors” I thought I would make it more personal, more close to home… Ladies, loud and proud, you know you are a chick from SCU when… READ MORE

Ways To Get Into The Holiday Spirit

By Keely O'Connor
December 9, 2013 - 9:43pm

Thanks to Buddy in the movie Elf, we all know that “the best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear.”  However, there is so much more we can do besides belting out our favorite Christmas carols to get into the holiday spirit. 1.  Whip out that ugly Christmas sweater READ MORE

The Value in Pick-Up Lines

By Jake Lans
December 2, 2013 - 3:46pm

Pick up lines are great.  They show that you can be funny, clever, and it takes a lot of the awkwardness out of asking that special person out.  Not all pickup lines have to be funny; they can just serve as a way to get some face-time in.  Others can be so over –the-top bad, you can’t help but laugh. Either way, the key to any good pick up line is context, so here’s a list of SCU-related pickup lines to help you take things with your crush to the next step. READ MORE

Avoiding Illness in College

By Jake Lans
November 12, 2013 - 1:45pm

It’s flu season once again at SCU!  That means colds, fevers, tonsillitis and all that cool jazz will be floating around campus for a few weeks.  Catching any one of these can be a real bummer.  You’ll miss classes, events, and feel pretty awful.  Avoiding illness is a challenge at any college campus, but it is possible.  Here are some ways to do just that: READ MORE

I Only Go To Restaurants That Start With A "C"

By Keely O'Connor
November 3, 2013 - 8:42pm

Ladies, I believe that food may or may not treat me better than any man ever will.  So, this is why I have decided to share with you a few of my personal favorite indulgences that are nice and close to campus.  Fun fact:  they all start with the letter C. Café Rosalena Ever heard of a life-changing burrito?  Well, I’ve TASTED one. It’s the sausage breakfast burrito from Café Rosalena.  Word on the street is that this is the breakfast to have after a long night of…studying!  Just imagine the cheese melting upon the thick potatoes, warm eggs, and savory sausage.  Imagine it.  For only about $6, I would say it’s a steal, especially if you save half for later (yeah, right).   The Counter READ MORE