Beer Die 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

As we all know, die is a lot of guys’ favorite pastime for the weekend (or even a casual Tuesday—depending which lawns you walk by). How many times have you walked past a bunch of shirtless boys yelling, leaping and tossing the die and thought “I don’t get it?” Well if you’re tired of not being included in the game fondly known as Beer Die, here is a rundown of the rules, so you can confidently join one of the next Beer Die tournaments.

What You Need:

• Two teams of two people
  • Four cups filled with beer placed on the edges of the table.
  • Two six-sided die

Rules:

• You and your partner have to throw the die higher than the tallest person in the game can reach.
  • It has to land on the other side of the table.
  • If the die bounces on the table and falls to the ground then it is a point.
  • If you and your partner both score a point then you get the die back.
  • If it hits the table and bounces off and the opposing team catches it with one hand. Then no point is awarded.
  • If the die bounces on the table, hits the cup, and falls off it is two points.
  • If it hits the cup and stays on the table then two points are awarded (unless house rules only count it as one point).
  • If the die lands in the cup it’s called a splash down. That’s three points and the person who’s cup the die fell in needs to finish the beer in their cup.
  • You can either play to 15 or 16.
  • If it’s 15 then you have to finish your beer every 5 points that is scored on you.  If it’s 16, then every 4 points.
  • If you bobble the die and don’t catch it cleanly then the opposing team can hit you out of the way.
  • Field goal: when you throw the die and it bounces on the other teams half but rolls back through your cups and off the table (worth three points).

So there you have it, the basics of die! Congrats, you are basically a frat star; now go impress all the boys by showing off your savvy die skills!

Alyssa started working as a Contributing Writer for Her Campus Santa Clara in the fall of 2014. She is currently a Freshman Communication major, and would love to enter the world of public relations or journalism in the future. Alyssa is an active in her sorority and loves to participate in all of the Greek philanthropy events. She can typically be found listen to music or clicking "Play next episode" on Netflix.