6 Things You Can Learn from Mindy Kaling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

Mindy Kaling is known for her role in The Mindy Project, and for being a trail-blazing, hilarious, and relatable woman. Here are a few pieces of wisdom she’s shared with us all:

Confidence is Key

If you got it flaunt it, and if you don’t got it, flaunt it.

How to be Successful 

Hard work pays off: “A lot of people ask how to get to where I am, and the single biggest thing, which is not profound, is that I work like a dog.”

TREAT YOURSELF

“How do you balance job and personal and sleep and woman and female and race and culture and politics and funny and not funny and men and boys and body image and weight and stuff? Lil vodka straight from the bottle!”

Why Not Me?

“‘Why the f*ck not me?’ should be your motto.”

Decide When You Feel Beautiful

“I just figured, if I’m going to be a mess, I might as well be a hot mess, right?”

There’s Plenty of Room At The Top

“You don’t hear, ‘Is Will Ferrell too Steve Carell-y? Is Danny McBride too Aziz-like?’ There’s this mentality that there can only be one woman who is funny and running her own show and if there are more than that, you must hate each other. And, no, it’s like, I wish you could see them more.”

I highly recommend you check out her two books: Why Not Me, and Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me, for more of Mindy’s glorious wisdom.

Sofia is from the San Francisco Bay Area and studies Political Science (plus a million other minors). Sofia writes about style, travel, food and coffee on her blog, www.sofialeyla.com . In her free time, catch her hammocking by Bellomy Field or finding her zen in yoga class.
Laurel Fisher is a senior at Santa Clara University. She is double majoring in math and French. She loves traveling, scrapbooking, and anything to do with France. In her free time, she loves taking photos of just about anything, watching Netflix, eating delicious food, going to the gym, and spending time with her friends.