This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

Legally Blonde is a classic favorite movie for girls of all ages, but aside from it being hilarious and timeless it also has a strong message for all women. Elle Woods has become a great feminist icon for girls and her story can inspire us all to achieve bigger and greater things. Elle Woods empowers women and that’s exactly what feminism is all about.

1. The main character is a woman who can reach her goals.

Nobody thought Elle Woods would be able to get into Harvard University. When she announced that she planned to attend Harvard School of Law she immediately faced countless critics who told her she could not achieve that. As we all know, she completely proved them wrong. Elle Woods is a role model for other girls, proving to them that they can accomplish the unexpected.

2. Girls helping girls.

In all stages of her challenges Elle could always count on her best friends. The entire sorority helped her in her plans to get into Harvard, they did not try to tear her down but to lift her up. She in return helped Paulette during her divorce and throughout their friendship. Legally Blonde shows the good that comes from girls helping each other instead of putting each other down.

3. Elle was smart AND pretty.

Elle proved that in order to be taken seriously as a woman you don’t have to strip yourself of all femininity. She continued to embrace her pink outfits and succeeding while wearing them. She proved that strength and femininity are not a contradiction.

4. Elle uses her feminine powers to win a murder trial case.

Elle Woods won that case because of her quick and clever mind, law school education, and most importantly, her extensive hair care knowledge. Elle was able to prove Brooke was innocent with knowledge that most lawyers would not possess, knowledge that is often considered to be just for women.

5. Most importantly, Elle Woods is a feminist.

Elle Woods is a feminist, and not the stereotypical feminist who rejects all things feminine, because that isn’t what feminism is about. Elle Woods opens the doors of feminism to other girls, showing that they can be pretty, girly, smart, funny, or whatever they want because that’s what feminism actually is about.

Most people may not realize the importance of Legally Blonde from a feminist viewpoint but it has been crucial in inspiring young women with Elle Woods’ story. 

Proud Santa Clara University freshman, Poli-Sci and Communications double major, and lover of dogs. My hobbies include reading, watching sappy old movies, and searching for a decent microwavable soup. My favorite type of food is Greek and Chipotle's Sofritas are in my Top 5 Ultimate Favorite Things About This World. I love HerCampus because it's a place where college girls can really talk about what goes through their minds throughout their 4 years in this crazy world we call school.