Why is Body Shaming Still A Thing?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCSU chapter.

Recently on Facebook, one of my friends shared a video of plus size models walking the catwalk with the caption, “curves on the catwalk…yes or no?”

As someone who advocates for body positivity and promotes body love for all shapes and sizes, my immediate answer was “hell yes.” I noticed there was one comment and decided to check it out. The comment: “no way.”

Why is this response still relevant in our society today? Why do people constantly have to be afraid of what they look like? We are all beautiful and this shouldn’t be happening.

But, we can’t blame the body negativity solely on this video. There are so many reasons why people choose to hate their bodies and live in fear of what others have to say.

Just a few days ago I saw on Instagram a girl who, after struggling with her weight and her self-love for years, decided to finally love herself curves and all. She posted a picture of her body and of course, the comments flooded in. Although there were the few like “slay, girl” and “preach” there were still the negative comments telling her she should be “ashamed” of her body and that she “needs to lose weight.” This is what prompted me to write this.

What is wrong with having curves? Having curves and fat are natural things, nothing anyone should be ashamed of. I understand that some people make harsh comments because they know that being over-weight can lead to serious health problems, but that is no reason to make someone hate themselves and hate the way they look.

As someone who has struggled with her weight for years and has had many problems regarding self-love, these sort of comments can destroy a person’s outlook on life and thus ruin them. These sort of comments need to stop. Everyone is beautiful in their own way, and the amount of gravitational force needed to hold us to the earth will never define us.

Photo: 1, 2

Cover

Sophomore in the Honors College at Southern Connecticut. I'm a theatre major and aspire to be on Broadway.