Why Choosing Your Back-Up Plan is OK

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Plan A: Go to college. Excel academically. Score amazing on the MCAT. Apply for medical school. Get accepted. Graduate college. Happily, ever after! Right? Well I hope so, but sometimes life doesn’t quite turn out as planned…

That was my “Plan A,” and here I am, a senior in college realizing that maybe the “Plan B” of taking a couple years off to go to graduate school isn’t a bad idea. And guess what? That’s perfectly okay!

I know it’s hard to come to the realization that your Plan A might not be working out and that the Plan B needs to get dusted off and relooked, but don’t worry, there are a couple reasons why choosing your Plan B might be the real Plan A in disguise…

It gives you more time to really decide what you want to do! Truth be told, I am not 100% sure what I want to do with the rest of my life right now and if you do, props to you! It is good to have a general understanding of what you would like to do, but don’t be alarmed if you’re like me and realize that maybe you would like to pursue something else or a higher education before you commit to your career.

You can potentially be saving money! As a college student, the last thing you want to do is add more debt to the undergraduate bill. Sometimes students take a year off to get their finances in order, and that’s a great strategy! Don’t be afraid to try and get your feet wet with the real world to get some extra cash for future education or other endeavors.

Don’t forget to keep moving forward, keep your options open & don’t be afraid to try new things! 

Straight from Central New Jersey, yes it does exist, Sarah is a senior biology major at the Univeristy of Scranton. When she's not studying, she enjoys rowing for the U, training for marathons that she forces herself to do, and having the college experience with her friends. Her favorite Starbucks drink is a venti iced coffee, black, because she likes to live dangerously. She's an owner of two goldfish whose names are Brandi and Bacardi, and she loves all things America. Xoxo
Dania El-Ghazal

Scranton '18

My whole biography realistically can't fit here so