What You Might Not Have Known About Being A Feminist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

If you’ve *low-key* never really taken the time to understand the true scope of feminism, don’t you fret, collegiate. I’ve had my fair share of woman’s studies courses and I feel fit to tell you all you need to know to join the #feministaf squad. However, it might break your heart to know that Queen Bey was slightly wrong (*gasps dramatically*) when she said girls run the world. If you want to join the modern-day feminists around you, you must answer this simple question correctly, my dear: “who runs the world?”

WE ALL DO.

After taking a Feminism & Social Change course at my university, my entire view on what “feminism” is has undergone a complete transformation. While I still wouldn’t say that I am a cookie cutter feminist (I still have a LOT of learning to do), I do believe that after taking the time to truly understand what feminism is, my awareness for others has increased as well as the affinity to implore myself and where I stand among society.

Although there is still so much prevalent sexism and racism around us, there is so much that our generation hasn’t been exposed to (thanks to all to feminists before us). The waves of feminism have done so much for us already; most of which I did not even realize until studying their history. The first and second waves of feminism were pivotal points in changing societies views and opinions of women; allowing for opportunities like voting and holding jobs in positions of power. While the first and second waves made way for the socioeconomic equality of women, the third wave is what really ties in the true definition of feminism. Feminism doesn’t solely focus on the equality of women, but is an effort to become inclusive and promote equality towards all beings. Factors like sexuality, race, gender, class, and religion all come into the playing field, so when you hear the word “feminism”, female shouldn’t be the only word that you hear.

If you didn’t know that, now you do! *claps for you boo*.

And if this definition of feminism was not clear to you before, don’t be embarrassed. I was admittedly ignorant to others as well – it’s almost expected with the stigma surrounding feminists. Many anti-feminists today think that we’re all just a bunch of power hungry woman with purple pixie cuts and girlfriends. If that’s a description of you, embrace it and own it! But if it’s not, that doesn’t mean you’re not a feminist.

If you think that separating people and their eligibilitiy based on their skin tone is wrong, you’re probably feminist. If you have a LGBTQ+ friend that you wouldn’t think twice about being your equal, you’re probably a feminist. If you know a guy friend who has been sexually abused by a woman and the unfairness of that triggers you, you’re probably a feminist (and so is he). Of course, there are still parts of feminism that aim to equalize the genders. The concepts of not being able to bare my nipples in public, abort a baby that I wouldn’t be able to support, make as much salary as my male coworkers, and needing  to succumb to a president who slanders any idea of feminine power and boasts about his sexual harassment towards women all infuriate me now – if they bother you too? You guessed it! You’re probably a feminist.

It was not until I took the strides to further my knowledge on the subject that I realized the broad scope that feminism aims to cover, and had multiple moments where I could resonate with the modern feminist ideals. I really believe that learning more about feminism helps foster personal growth and social awareness. Not all feminists are bitter women, or “femi-nazis” in the way oppressive facets of society seem to depict them, and I hope that this article has helped you in understanding that, collegiate. Feminism isn’t just for girls, it’s for us ALL.

You can walk away from your screen now knowing that feminists can be anyone who is aware of their own rights and simply fights for the equal rights of all – we’re all simply human anyway? 

(and it’s okay Bey, we still love you)

Julia Wardeh

Scranton '19

Julia Wardeh is a senior studying pre-medicine at the University of Scranton. This will be her second year as president and CC of Her Campus Scranton, which she hopes to elevate and expand. In her free time, Julia enjoys working as a barista, reading novels, and looking at the latest memes.