We Are Family… I Got All Ma Sistas with Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Family is essential for getting through these young adult years and I am incredibly blessed to be close to mine.  My mom and sister, in particular, have had a huge influence in my life and I am fortunate to be able to call them my best friends. They have supported me through hardships and celebrated my accomplishments.  They can build you up: “You are the smartest and most beautiful person in the world!” And they can be brutally honest:  “WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!”  But ultimately, no one will love or understand you like your female family members and at the end of the day, these gals tell you what no one else will. Here’s why your relationships with these people are super important:

1. They have already experienced breakups, friend fights, and academic stress. They can coach you through each step.

2. They’ll spin the truth; your misery is good!

3. When you’re upset and emotional you almost give them too much information (TMI) but hey, that’s what family is for!

4. Family gossip always arises even if it’s just a 5 minute conversation.

5. You can be on the phone with them for hours and still have more to talk about

6. They are the best people to cry to and they give the best hugs

7. Combined, they are literally Super Woman and can sense when something good or bad has happened to you.

8. They are happy as long as you are happy.

9. To them, there is always somethinggggg with you.

10. Girls’ weekends are the best weekends.

11. You’re the baby of the family and forever will be picked on.

Megan was born in NYC and is the youngest of four. She moved to a small town, Glen Rock, NJ shortly after her arrival. She graduated from The University of Scranton in May of 2015 with a BA in strategic communication. At the University, Megan was a member of the women's soccer team and a writer and feature story editor for HC Scranton. Megan is very active and takes on all sorts of fitness classes. Megan enjoys being surrounded by friends and family and going to her lake house on Brant Lake in the Adirondacks during the summer (ignore Blair Waldorf... the Adirondacks is a BEAUTIFUL place to vacation!)
Samantha is an East Coast girl from Pennsylvania with a New York City attitude and a Florida mindset. Her shopping habits are contagious; she has inherited them from her mom (they say mother knows best, right?). Samantha is a University of Scranton senior majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Business. She is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend, Elise. She is also the captain for Scranton Love Your Melon and secretary of the University of Scranton's Business Club. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @samanthaamilazzo @samanthaliza_