True Life: I’m Obsessed with Harry Potter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

I am a huge nerd when it comes to reading. Once I start a new book, it’s impossible for me to put it down. So it always surprised people when I told them that I have never read any of the Harry Potter books but I’ve seen all the movies. I have been told for years to read the series and that it was so much better than the movies.

Guess what? EVERYONE WAS RIGHT!

I started the first book “Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone” Saturday morning and finished “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” by the next Saturday. Needless to say, I did zero homework all week and spent any free time reading.

I laughed, I cried, and I’m forever converted into a Harry Potter nerd. Here’s some of my reasons why everyone should read the series:

1. Hermione Granger

J.K. Rowling was brilliant with Hermione’s character development! I have to say I low-key didn’t like her in the beginning books because she’s such a smart-ass (takes one to know one) but her wit and sense of determination comes through in the end!

1. The Weasleys

I am in love with this family. They are big, loud, and obnoxious and they sound amazing! I want to pull up chair at their family dinners and enjoy the fun!

1. Sirius Black

At first he seems like another enemy for Harry, but then it turns out Sirius is basically like a father for him! Of course something happens to Sirius *SOB* because nothing in this series can ever be ok…but for a while readers can enjoy Harry finally having a father figure in his life!

1. Magical powers

Honestly after reading the books I came to the conclusion that clearly someone messed up and forgot to give me magical powers. After a day (or three) I got over myself and realized that if I did have magical powers I would probably waste them on something dumb like creating bacon out of thin air or surrounding myself with dogs.

1. Dobby

This little elf holds my heart. He always has Harry’s best interest at heart and tries his best to help in any way. Once again J.K Rowling ripped my heart out when *something* happens to Dobby but I loved getting to know the character more in each book.

1. Friendship

Ron, Hermione and Harry give me the *feels* They are too precious and I now have to research how to find Hogwarts in real life.

Dania El-Ghazal

Scranton '18

My whole biography realistically can't fit here so