Tips for Scranton’s Parade Day 2k16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Being lucky enough to go to school right in the middle of the Electric City definitely has its perks, especially during March of every year… because that means Parade Day! Ranked in the top 10 biggest Saint Patrick’s Day celebrations in the country, this day is legendary in Scranton. Having to function all day, outside, starting at 9 a.m. (or earlier if you dare), can be rough. Here are a few tips on how to make the most out of your parade day!

1. Get everything ready the night before.
Whether it be laying your clothes out, planning out the day you can never be over prepared. There’s no worse feeling that waking up and realizing you should have done something earlier!

2. Go to bed early.
Waking up at 8 a.m. is not going to be fun, especially if you were up all night! Make sure you get enough sleep so that you can last all day.

3. Dress for the occasion-but be comfortable.
Rock that parade day t-shirt you ordered on FaceBook, all of the accessories you got at Party City, and carry around that adorable koozie that you’ll feature in every pic. However, Parade Day has the track record of being muddy and chilly so make sure you layer up on your socks and avoid stepping in puddles!

4. EAT.
Take a break every few hours to eat a snack. You’ll need the energy!

5. Drink water.
Not all liquids keep you hydrated! Make sure you carry around a water bottle and keep sipping that throughout the day.

6. Pictures!!!!
Make sure you snap a few decent and cute ones before you’ve been outside all day. Your Instagram will thank you!

7. BE SAFE.
Be mindful of all of your actions throughout the day.

8. And lastly, have fun and surround yourself with friends!
Make the most out of the day! Have fun with your friends and make new ones, too. Parade Day is one of the most exciting events during the spring semester, so be safe and live it up!

Anna Layaou is an accounting major and currently a sophomore at the University of Scranton. She loves puppies, food, and her school. She enjoys traveling to new places and meeting new people! If she's not studying or hanging out with her best friends, you can probably catch her watching Gossip Girl or online shopping. Follow her on instagram or twitter @annalayaou
Samantha is an East Coast girl from Pennsylvania with a New York City attitude and a Florida mindset. Her shopping habits are contagious; she has inherited them from her mom (they say mother knows best, right?). Samantha is a University of Scranton senior majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Business. She is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend, Elise. She is also the captain for Scranton Love Your Melon and secretary of the University of Scranton's Business Club. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @samanthaamilazzo @samanthaliza_