Shannon Grimaldi, Fashion Week Flashback

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

HC: How did you get the internship at Fashion Week?SG: I Googled “fashion public relations internships” one day in my ridiculously boring Theology class. I came across Linda Gaunt Communications, a boutique agency in NYC, applied, and they offered me an internship this past summer. I was so excited because I knew how competitive this industry is.  A month before fashion week, my supervisor emailed me asking if I was interested in coming back to work. I didn’t think twice about it!

HC: How was your experience different from Fashion Week in the fall of 2014 compared to the spring of 2015?SG: Besides the designer’s collections, my overall experience in the spring was much more beneficial. In the fall, I was treated more as a guest to the fashion shows, rather than working. This past February, I worked directly with the PR team and really learned what it takes to put together a fashion show.

HC: What was your highlight of Fashion Week?SG: Preparation for a fashion show is a lot of busy work, especially during FW. The PR team has to create the seating chart and it’s always done strategically. My favorite part was helping out with the VIP and Celebrity guest list. At the Todd Snyder show, I met Jesse Metcalfe – and yes, he is just as gorgeous in person!

HC: What was your OOTD during Fashion Week?SG: I’m a senior in college and I still pick out my clothes before I go to bed. My outfits had to be trendy, all black, and always consist of two pairs of shoes: my favorite Calvin Klein heels and my Elie Tahari flats. Dressing up for FW was definitely one of my favorite parts. Each day was different, from leather leggings to skater skirts with fur vests – I always went all out!

HC: What advice would you give other students who are looking to intern in the fashion industry?SG: The fashion world is not like ‘The Devil Wears Prada’. I wasn’t making coffee runs and I wasn’t stuck in the samples closet.  I had a real desk with a real computer. My advice: do not hesitate to ask questions and try it out! Fashion World PR and the powerful women who work in it always intimidated me. It’s scary at first (I won’t lie!) but it’s an awesome industry and I guarantee you will love it!  

Megan was born in NYC and is the youngest of four. She moved to a small town, Glen Rock, NJ shortly after her arrival. She graduated from The University of Scranton in May of 2015 with a BA in strategic communication. At the University, Megan was a member of the women's soccer team and a writer and feature story editor for HC Scranton. Megan is very active and takes on all sorts of fitness classes. Megan enjoys being surrounded by friends and family and going to her lake house on Brant Lake in the Adirondacks during the summer (ignore Blair Waldorf... the Adirondacks is a BEAUTIFUL place to vacation!)
Samantha is an East Coast girl from Pennsylvania with a New York City attitude and a Florida mindset. Her shopping habits are contagious; she has inherited them from her mom (they say mother knows best, right?). Samantha is a University of Scranton senior majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Business. She is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend, Elise. She is also the captain for Scranton Love Your Melon and secretary of the University of Scranton's Business Club. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @samanthaamilazzo @samanthaliza_