Scranton Beyond Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

“Scranton? Like, where The Office Is?” Yes, our University town is where fictional Dunder Mifflin workers entertain viewers at home all over the world.

The Electric City is no Big Apple, but before you start pinning it as monotonous area filled with even more potholes than bars, take a look at Scranton further than its “Historic Hill Section.” Aside from its phenomenal education, The University of Scranton most likely attracted you because of the city feel and “homey” vibe. Located smack dab in downtown across from the Courthouse Square, we Royals need not travel far for a taste of the city. Scranton actually has much to offer- believe me, I’m a born and raised Scrantonian.

Take a stroll down Linden Street (but this time without the fear that you’ll be late for your class in Hyland that starts in two minutes). City Market & Cafe, the upscale market located at the corner of Linden St. and Adams Ave, is a nice change to the usual DeNaples run. Enter a threshold of style on Spruce Street where you’ll find the cutest women’s clothing store, Freedlove. Burlap and Burbon sits next door with the trendiest clothes for men. N Washington has Runway Luxury Boutique and New Laundry!

Need a salon day? The only thing you need to worry about is which place to go to. There’s Lavish Body and Home on Linden or Alexander’s Salon and Spa on Lackawanna. Don’t forget to stop in Northern Light for a quick cup of- anything! Not only is downtown home to shops and cafes, but also highly rated restaurants. Adams Avenue will fulfill your Asian cuisine craving with Tai Rak Tai and Osaka. A full list of downtown restaurants is actually on the University of Scranton’s website! Use your Saturday afternoon to grab lunch and go shopping (window shopping, if you’re on a serious college kid budget). Or slip on your cutest pair of heels, take a walk downtown and you’re ready for the perfect girls’ night!

TGIF? TGIFF! (Thank God it’s “First Friday”). The next first Friday of the month is a hidden gem all art lovers should be excited for. First Friday is a “non-profit, volunteer-supported organization” that holds an art walk around businesses downtown. Every shop involved in First Friday is in walking distance of each other, though shuttle services are provided. In these participating stores, you will find galleries and displays of beautiful art aiming to bring a lively atmosphere to Scranton. As fun as it is, it’s also historic and cultural. This event serves many purposes: as a means for artists to have an opportunity to put their work out there, as a promoter for the small businesses involved, and as a source of entertainment for art lovers. And, it’s free. Each shop might have its own particular sales, giveaways, and get ready for it, food! You might even find some great live entertainment! What a perfect way to become familiar with downtown’s shops while bouncing from place to place admiring people’s art! So, interested in trying something new? Checking out the next First Friday Art Walk on November 7 will be well worth it. All Art Walks begin at 6:00 p.m. and end at 9:00 p.m. You can access information about these events at www.firstfridayscranton.com or “like” First Friday Scranton on Facebook.

So next time you’re feeling confined in these Scranton dorms and apartments, grab a few friends and get out there while the fall foliage is still fresh! 

Dania El-Ghazal

Scranton '18

My whole biography realistically can't fit here so
Samantha is an East Coast girl from Pennsylvania with a New York City attitude and a Florida mindset. Her shopping habits are contagious; she has inherited them from her mom (they say mother knows best, right?). Samantha is a University of Scranton senior majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Business. She is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend, Elise. She is also the captain for Scranton Love Your Melon and secretary of the University of Scranton's Business Club. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @samanthaamilazzo @samanthaliza_