Royals Relay for Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

It’s that time of year again! Relay for Life is quickly approaching and Purple Week officially begins today! For those who don’t know “Purple Week” consists of the five days leading up to relay. This week is filled with activities to spread awareness for Relay for Life as well as how you can help. 

Each and every year 12.7 million people are diagnosed with cancer and over half of these people will lose their battle. You may ask yourself what does walking around a track for twelve hours straight have to do with cancer? Cancer never sleeps and on Friday April 24, neither will you. At Relay for Life our campus community comes together to honor those who have survived, remember those we have lost and celebrate the possibility of a cure.

This week be sure to keep your eyes open for all of Relay for Life’s events. Today, Monday April 20 join in “Cuts for Cancer,” all proceeds go to our Relay for Life event. Tuesday the campus will be painted purple! Be on the lookout for purple balloons, purple ribbons and more. Don’t forget to add some purple into your wardrobe on April 21! What’s better than an ice cream sandwich after dinner? A purple ice cream sandwich! Enjoy a sweet treat on Third Floor DeNaples during dinner on Wednesday April 22. Looking for a relay t-shirt or want to buy a luminara? Stop by the table sit on Thursday April 23. 

Finally, head to the Byron Center on Friday April 24! Pre-registration will take place from 4 p.m. – 6 p.m. to avoid long lines and the event begins at 7 p.m. sharp! Be sure to bring your royal card and some spare change to participate in onsite fundraising activities! The night will include a photo booth, themed laps, a luminaria ceremony, raffles and so much more. This year’s relay is beach themed and together we can all wave goodbye to cancer.

Looking for a team to join but think it’s too late?! You can still sign up on the Relay site. Just click sign up and search for “Her Campus Scranton” to join our team! 

Elise is a Jersey girl who loves to travel the world, she enjoys keeping up with the latest fashion trends and believes an Instagram a day keeps the doctor away. She is a senior at the University of Scranton majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Writing. Elise is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend Samantha (every brunette needs a blonde right?) This past summer she interned in Public Relations at The Thomas Collective, a boutique lifestyle agency in New York City. When her toes are not in the sand, she’s hailing a cab or packing her bags ready to jet set anywhere and everywhere. Fun Fact: Elise is a member of Scranton’s Equestrian team. Follow her on Instagram @liseyleelee and on Twitter @eliseteresa!