Our Obsession in the Classroom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest imagine if these acted as your textbooks for next semester. Sounds too good to be true… right? It’s true and trust me its one of the most AMAZING classes I have taken. Rhetoric and Social Media (WRTG 224) is a class taught by Teresa Grettano; for those who don’t know her, she teaches wonderful classes in unique and fun ways! This class just happens to be one of those. You’ll study the rhetoric and culture of social media networks while learning how to be more persuasive with the apps you use everyday. You mean I can learn how to get more likes and present myself as the super cool girl everyone *thinks* I am?! Oh YES! This class will allow you to look at your social media usage and learn how others see you through these accounts.

Using your favorite social media platforms in this writing class while learning new ways to practice them is real life here at the University of Scranton. This class will allow you to get a better feel of how much you really use social media. You’ll also learn more about people through their accounts on the platform of your choice. Last year I wrote a paper analyzing Kendall Jenner’s Instagram, aka her life. What other class would allow you to do this?!

Do you love hashtags? #HCScranton does! For my final paper I used the hashtag #strongerthanthestorm to see how New Jersey recovered from Hurricane Sandy over the course of a year. No, I don’t have to pinch you because this is not a dream! You can do your homework about celebrities, your hometown and major world events while learning even more about social media, SCORE.

Not convinced yet? How does using current events as your history book sound? Forget searching an encyclopedia Google back to the 1800’s, with this class you’ll use Twitter and Facebook to track real life incidents as they occur.

When registration time comes and you start to see the seats in WRTG 224 dwindle away keep your fingers crossed because this is a class you don’t want to miss.  If you’re one of the lucky people to snag a seat get ready, because you’re going to have a great semester filled with even more social media!

Elise is a Jersey girl who loves to travel the world, she enjoys keeping up with the latest fashion trends and believes an Instagram a day keeps the doctor away. She is a senior at the University of Scranton majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Writing. Elise is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend Samantha (every brunette needs a blonde right?) This past summer she interned in Public Relations at The Thomas Collective, a boutique lifestyle agency in New York City. When her toes are not in the sand, she’s hailing a cab or packing her bags ready to jet set anywhere and everywhere. Fun Fact: Elise is a member of Scranton’s Equestrian team. Follow her on Instagram @liseyleelee and on Twitter @eliseteresa!