Needed Nutrients for a New Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

A new semester brings new goals, or as I like to call them, “euphoric changes.”  Euphoric changes are the changes you look forward to making because they simply please you. These may include actually purchasing a cute planner, finding new music, cutting back on the coffee or drinking MORE coffee and maybe laying low on TNS. One euphoric change that collegiettes should try to tap into is our knowledge of nutrients and using food to heal! The next time you’re feeling under the weather or groggy, sick or tired, cure yourself with home remedies! 

Food is our most precious fuel and medicine. We can use herbs and spices for a variety of solutions. Follow this short list and stock your cabinets for the perfect start-of-semester energy!

Himalayan Salt

Add Himalayan salt to your water, salads, smoothies to add its benefits of alkalization! Perfect to help halt acid reflux from occurring.

Ginger

Try spicing up the cold weather with ginger tea! It will ease, sooth and make you feel brand new!

Coconuts/coconut oil/coconut milk

Coconuts are excellent for your gut! There are so many ways to consume coconuts and reap its benefits of hydration. They include electrolytes, far more than sports drinks!

Apple cider vinegar, cinnamon, ginger, cayenne, raw honey, hot water

De-bloat with this delicious potion!

Garlic

Say goodbye to colds when consuming garlic!

Turmeric

Turmeric spice is awesome to add to tea or warm coconut milk to help fight inflammation!

Beets

Beets flush out your system and (a collegiette’s must) LIVER!! 

Nutmeg

This spice will help you fall asleep and stay asleep!

Licorice tea

A digestion aid!

Dandelion tea

A perfect natural detox!

Celery

Hydrate your skin with this snack!

Kale, parsley, lemon, green apple, coconut milk, orange, celery A super-food juice flowing with Vitamin K and healthy detoxers to wake you up in the morning!

Don’t let bad health affect your life! Take action with the foods you consume!

Dania El-Ghazal

Scranton '18

My whole biography realistically can't fit here so