photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

My Top 5: Favorite Podcasts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

This past summer was a time of learning and adventure. I had the opportunity to work in an advertising agency in New York City and the commute to and from work was about an hour each way. I was bored out of my mind. There are only so many times I can listen to my Spotify playlist without getting sick of the songs. I needed something to occupy my time during my commute. A friend of mine turned me onto Podcasts and from that day on, I was hooked. Here is a list of my top five favorite podcasts that I’ve discovered this summer.

1. Guys We F@#ked

Two comedians, Krystyna Hucthinson and Corrine Fisher, host the anti-slut shaming podcast. At first, they created this podcast to interview and talk to the guys who they have had sexual relations with. As the months went on, it turned into a podcast about a plethora of social topics. Some of these topics include, sexual orientation, abortion, teenage pregnancy and losing your virginity. They also talk to a variety of people in multiple professions. This podcast, which is my favorite, has opened my eyes to aspects in our generation that people don’t choose to talk about openly. Between gaining knowledge and laughing LOTS, this podcast is definitely worth listening to.

2. Serial

Sarah Koenig, host of the podcast Serial, is an American journalist who tells a true story throughout the course of a season. The first season is about a high school student who may or may not have been wrongfully convicted of murdering his girlfriend in 1999. Throughout the course of a dozen episodes, she evaluates every aspect of the case while connecting with key people associated with the case and Adnan Syed, the convicted. The second season is about the U.S. soldier, Bowe Bergdahl, who was captured by the Taliban, held prisoner for five years and is now home. The question they pose the first episode is, is he a traitor? You have to listen to the podcast to find out!

3. Stuff You Should Know

Beyond the realm of comedy and thrilling investigations, Stuff You Should Know is about educating the public. The men behind this podcast research topics and convey them in each episode in an entertaining way. The topics range from things you should know about music, to wine fraud, neuroscience and many MANY more. The topics are specific and you can learn tons from them. Knowledge is power.

4. The Basement Yard

For those of you who know Joe Santagato, this is his podcast. For those of you who do not know him, look him up on YouTube and prepare to laugh. The podcast is usually Joe and his friends sitting in his basement talking about their lives, uncensored. It feels like you are spying on them! The Basement Yard has made me laugh out loud more than I should, both in public and alone. It is hilarious and I highly recommend it if you’re having a bad day and need a pick-me-up.

5. The Lady Gang

Keltie Knight, Jac Vanek and Becca Tobin come together each week to discuss what life is like living under the pressure of succeeding in Hollywood. They’ve created an outlet for fans to ask them any questions and they share their own stories, unapologetically. In the beginning of each episode they go around and talk about the highs and lows of the week. It’s interesting to hear about what these women go through while they have an honest and hilarious conversation.

Podcasts helped me get through the workweek commute and a workout at the gym this summer. It’s an entertaining way to stay connected with what is going on in the world while obtaining knowledge and laughing. There are millions of podcasts out there. You just have to find the one that interests you.

I'm a twenty-year-old junior at the University of Scranton. I aspire to work in public relations after I graduate, as well as travel the world. I grew up on the south shore of Long Island.
Elizabeth Transue is a Communication Broadcasting major with a minor in Political Science at The University of Scranton. Her life changed when she studied abroad in London and fell in love with traveling. She is obsessed with her adorable pug, Chikfila, and her eleven best friends who just so happen to be her housemates. She can't hold a tune or keep a rhythm but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it! Am I right?