This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Caitlin Tulaney is part of the class of 2019 here at the University of Scranton. During her two years here, she has gotten involved with: Relay for Life, Colleges Against Cancer and the Society of Human Resource Managers. She took the time to tell me a little bit more about Relay for Life, an event held this week (April 22, 2017.) Keep reading to learn more about the event!

Name of interviewee: Caitlin Tulaney

Grade: Sophomore

Major: Human Resources

Minor: Business

Hometown: Mechanicsburg, PA

HC: Can you explain what Relay for Life exactly is?

CT: Relay for Life is the biggest fundraiser for the American Cancer Society. It is an event that remembers loved ones lost to cancer, honors those battling cancer and raises money to help the American Cancer Society. It takes place on college campuses and in high schools across the country! The University’s Relay is a 12-hour long team fundraising event where members of the team walk around a track to raise awareness for cancer. Each team also has a themed campsite (our theme this year is Carnival,) where they set up a fundraising event— like a game or a bake sale— to raise money during the event. Throughout the event, there are moments to recognize survivors, caregivers, and all of the people affected by cancer.

HC: How did you get involved with Relay for Life?

CT: In high school I was involved in mini-THON, which is an event that raises money for the Four Diamonds Foundation. It is a student-run organization, similar to Relay for Life, that works all year to raise money until the night of THON. The Four Diamonds Foundation is an organization that raises money for the fight against pediatric cancer. When I saw that the University had a Relay for Life event here I knew I had to get involved.

HC: What position do you hold and what responsibilities does that position entail?

CT: This year I am the Committee Chair for Team Recruitment and Retention. I am responsible for developing and implementing a recruitment strategy to engage new teams on campus, as well as continuing to engage previous year’s teams. Along with the other committee chairs, we have team meetings to inform the teams on fundraising goals, ideas and event specific information. I also help with table sits and fundraising events that are here on campus. This past year we sold Gertrude Hawk chocolate, had a Chipotle fundraiser, and helped with the CAC’s events on campus, like Pink Week!

HC: How can other people get involved with Relay?

CT: At the beginning of every semester, Colleges Against Cancer and Relay for Life have a table sit at the Club Fair to recruit new members for the clubs. There you can sign up to receive emails and attend the meetings each week. To be part of the Event Leadership Team on Relay you should be an active participant in CAC and apply for a position. There are a ton of different positions on the leadership team like Team Development, Entertainment and Activities, Fundraising, and Sponsorship to name a few.

If you still want to participate in the event, but don’t want to be part of the leadership team, you can create a team or join one at www.relayforlife.org/pauofs. This link will show you details about the event, how much money we’ve raised and all the participants. If you can’t make it to the event, you can donate online or donate a Luminaria in honor of someone that is battling or has battled cancer.

Relay for Life is this Friday, April 22nd, 2017 from 5 p.m. to 5 a.m. in the Bryon Center! There will be a ton of events, food, and raffles, along with a Survivors Lap and Luminaria Ceremony to honor and represent all of those affected by cancer.

HC: Are you involved with anything else on campus?

CT: Along with Relay for Life, I am involved in Colleges Against Cancer, which is also is a program run by The American Cancer Society to promote cancer awareness on college campuses. CAC plans events all over campus to raise money for the American Cancer Society. The biggest fundraising event is Relay for Life. I am also an active member of the Society of Human Resource Managers, which is a student chapter for Human Resource majors to learn more about the profession outside of normal academic classes.

Laura Riemer is a strategic communication major with a concetration in public relations. She also has three minors in finance, accounting and business. She hopes to continue her education by getting her masters in something in the realm of finance. Laura enjoys writing, listening to music, hanging out with her friends and traveling. She went to England, Scotland and Greece during high school and hopes to have a career that that allows her to continue her travels. 
Dania El-Ghazal

Scranton '18

My whole biography realistically can't fit here so