freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Long Distance Relationship… With Your Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Being in a relationship is hard work.  Being in a long distance relationship is even more work.  Being in a long distance relationship with your BEST FRIEND: that’s the worst.  Whether your BFF moved with her family or goes to college a few states away, it gets hard to balance both of your worlds.  Being in this type of relationship will take certain tolls on and test the strength of your bond with you and your gal pal.  Yet, it will make your friendship unique, special, and timeless.  They say distance makes the heart grow fonder, and when it comes to long-distance best friends, this popular saying just might make some sense after all.

Saying goodbye to your best friend for the first time is the worst feeling… and it doesn’t really get any easier.

You’re both on completely different schedules between school, work, and your social lives.  Finding time to catch up with one another is hard, but you will always make room for that two-hour (much needed) phone call.

Spending holidays away from one another is tough.  Not being able to run to your best friends house on Christmas might put a slight damper on your holiday spirit.

What’s even worse is not being able to hold your best friend when they need you the most.

Yet, when people often ask you two “How do you do it?!”, you both just laugh because you don’t have an answer to that question.  You just happen to have one of those rare relationships that could stand the test of time… and distance.

Even though the miles between you two may make life tough at times, there is no doubt in either of your minds that you are lucky AF to have found someone so extraordinary, and that you get to call them your absolute best friend.

Julia Troost is a born and raised New Yorker, which comes as no shock once you hear her accent. She is a current senior at the University of Scranton majoring in Occupational Therapy with a minor in Psychology. Having a love for writing and fashion from a young age, HerScranton allows Julia to take a break from the sciences and embody her inner Carrie Bradshaw (circa late 2004). You’ll never see her without a smile on her face or yelling at people to “be optimistic!” Julia looks forward to completing her clinicals at prestigious NYC hospitals, and ultimately working with war veterans.
Samantha is an East Coast girl from Pennsylvania with a New York City attitude and a Florida mindset. Her shopping habits are contagious; she has inherited them from her mom (they say mother knows best, right?). Samantha is a University of Scranton senior majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Business. She is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend, Elise. She is also the captain for Scranton Love Your Melon and secretary of the University of Scranton's Business Club. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @samanthaamilazzo @samanthaliza_