This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Ah, the realm of online shopping. If you know me personally, you aware how of how seriously I take this. Some people perceive online shopping as stressful, and I am here to prove to you it is the best thing to ever come out of the internet. Nevertheless, it is time for me to bestow my shopping expertise upon you. Here is how to online shop like a friggen PROFESSIONAL.

First, let us lay out the good and bad.

Pro’s:
-More variety. Stores usually have more sizes, colors, and inventory online.
-Prices. There is almost always a 10-15% off coupon floating around somewhere, so your online purchase is normally cheaper than an in-store one.
-Convenience.
-Search bars. It is much faster and easier to find something specific you are looking for.

The Few Cons:
-Shipping (I’ll explain ways around it ;))
-Pesky return policies

Coupon Codes
One of my favorite parts of online shopping is the coupon codes. Almost all stores give out a coupon if you sign up for their email list. Many have codes floating around on the internet. To find them, just google “*store name* coupon code.” Retail Me Not and Coupon Cabin will almost always have legitimate ones. Sometimes you can even find one for free shipping. I urge everyone to never checkout until they have first checked for a coupon.

Return Policies
The number one key of online shopping is to be completely aware of the return policy. Some stores have “final clearance” that is non-refundable. Be sure to watch for this. If something is final sale, be 100% sure the item will fit and/or you will like it. The majority of stores allow in-store returns. Some stores (Nordstrom and ASOS for example) come with a pre-paid return label in your package, which makes life so much easier. Some (and be weary of this) are only online shops, meaning they don’t have a physical store, so sending your items back in the mail may be the only option. Sometimes, there is a $5 fee or so for that.

Free Shipping
I never pay for shipping. Why spend $5-15 bucks if you don’t have to? To avoid shipping, check how much is needed to spend in order to obtain free shipping. If the return policy is good, simply add something(s) to your bag to reach that amount. Return the item(s) when they arrive and voila! Free shipping for all.

Amazon
I buy everything on Amazon. From shampoo to linens to my polka-dot Hershel backpack- it is all from Amazon. If you aren’t already, become a Prime member! Students get 6 months free. Before you make a purchase in another store, check Amazon quick to see if they have it for any less expensive.

Watch for Sales
For some of the pricier stores like J.Crew and Urban Outfitters, it isn’t always the easiest to get a truly awesome deal. Stalking items until they go on sale has allowed me to scoop things as soon as they become affordable. I suggest making a cart/bag on that website full of the items you want, but are too expensive right now. Check back every few days, as things almost always eventually go on sale. I have gotten a $239 jacket from Urban, I kid you not for, $60.

Avoiding Sketchy Sites
“This bathing suit is only $16!” My friends, if it sounds to good to be true, it usually is. Before buying on a site you’ve never heard of before, Google “*store name* reviews.” Chances are someone else has shopped there before, and will have an opinion on it. You can also check the Better Business Bureau. I have avoided some potentially bad online shops thanks to the power of the internet.

Thanks for reading my wealth of knowledge on the online shopping world. Happy shopping everyone! J

“I don’t really have any cool talents, except for online shopping. I’m good at that.” –Jenna Rizzuto

Jenna is a senior occupational therapy student here at the U. She enjoys making people laugh, frolicking in warm weather, eating copious amounts of food, and dancing the night away. Follow her on insta @jennarizzy
Samantha is an East Coast girl from Pennsylvania with a New York City attitude and a Florida mindset. Her shopping habits are contagious; she has inherited them from her mom (they say mother knows best, right?). Samantha is a University of Scranton senior majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Business. She is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend, Elise. She is also the captain for Scranton Love Your Melon and secretary of the University of Scranton's Business Club. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @samanthaamilazzo @samanthaliza_