How College Students Feel About the 2016 Election

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Millennials are the largest living generation in the United States. 31% of the voting population is made up of men and women ranging from ages 18-34. The presidential election is weeks away, and the vote from the millennial generation has a huge influence on who will become our next president.

Our candidates, Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton have completely separate and opposite agendas. They represent two totally different perspectives. It’s our duty as the major voting population to become well-informed on this years candidates and vote for who we believe could lead us in the most positive direction.

I asked various college students around The University of Scranton campus how they feel about this year’s election. My opinion is no far less than the others. Personally, I think it’s important to learn as much as we can about each candidate and vote based on fact and not what the media presents.

“Most college kids are voting for the first time this year. We really need to focus on what each candidate is saying and try to ignore all the negatives the media says about each candidate and focus on who is the best for our country.” – ET, ‘17

Other students have different opinions…

“People need to just accept this election for what it is and just strictly look at the policies of both nominees because as people, they both are really horrendous.” – Anonymous

And once you figure out policies, voting is like…

“Choosing the lesser of two evils” – ST, ‘17

The two candidates both have their flaws, but it’s important to vote for someone who represents what you believe in.

When asked what they think about the election, many feel like it’s ridiculous.

“It’s a circus. This election has been so much of a joke that it’s getting me to the point where I don’t even want to vote.” – JK, ‘17

According to a Pew Research Study, 58% of eligible millennials would need to vote to make an actual influence in the election. Yet, those who are informed are still reluctant to give their party their vote with 100% confidence.

“I would have liked to see a moderate republican in office, but I cannot bring myself to vote for Donald Trump. In my opinion, he is just so vile that I cannot give him my vote, especially as a woman.” -Anonymous

College students need to remember that we have a privilege to choose who leads our country, and that’s important. As the biggest generation in the U.S., our vote counts, no matter what people may think. Regardless, one of the candidates will inevitably be chosen, and history will be made. No matter what baggage our next president brings to the Oval office, some students can’t help but think…

“I miss Bernie” -AR, ‘17

To all my millennials, don’t forget to cast your vote Thursday, November 8! 

Resources

I'm a twenty-year-old junior at the University of Scranton. I aspire to work in public relations after I graduate, as well as travel the world. I grew up on the south shore of Long Island.
Elizabeth Transue is a Communication Broadcasting major with a minor in Political Science at The University of Scranton. Her life changed when she studied abroad in London and fell in love with traveling. She is obsessed with her adorable pug, Chikfila, and her eleven best friends who just so happen to be her housemates. She can't hold a tune or keep a rhythm but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it! Am I right?