roman kraft ZoAlN3 pJO8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
roman kraft ZoAlN3 pJO8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Five Reasons to Disregard the Starbucks Cup Controversy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

‘Tis the season for the holiday drinks at Starbucks, along with their new festive cup design. Every year, Starbucks releases a unique cup that coincides with the holiday season. As the new cups were released, so was the commentary leading to controversy. Last year, their red cups caused an uproar. The red cups were blank as opposed to the past years where the cups had a symbolic design on it for Christmas. People were furious with Starbucks’ willingness to change a cup.

Learning from past mistakes, Starbucks recently released its holiday cup. The cup is green with a sketch incorporating a single and continuous line. Their design was meant to exemplify unity, but customer reactions were fierce. People criticized Starbucks for the cup’s color not being Christmas-y and the unity factor is too politically brainwashing. However, the red cups are due to come back in the future.

So, because of all the backlash Starbucks has received for their efforts to promote unity during election time, here are five great reasons why we should all disregard the yearly cup controversy!

1. Starbucks is Starbucks

Despite the controversies and negative attention, all press is good press.

2. Their drinks though…

Any human knows what Starbucks is known for… their drinks. Forget what the cup looks like – it’s what’s on the inside that counts. Their latte’s, espresso, coffee and tea are still to die for.

3. They never fail to mess up your name

Starbucks branded themselves, accidently, by misspelling names on their cups. If you haven’t had your name misspelled on a cup, do you even drink Starbucks?

4. Keeping the tradition alive

For years, Starbucks has been consistently releasing their holiday cups. People look forward to these cups and the drinks inside them during the holiday season. At the same time, some people just look forward to bashing the cups every year, but the tradition remains.

5. Their message is beautiful

Whether you agree or not, the message of unity can help the customers understand Starbucks’ political outlook. The company shares their views to the world and continuously collects backlash from it. This cup promotes them as a company which values unity, togetherness and harmony which is truly powerful.

So before you react to the new holiday cup, take a look at all Starbucks does for you.

I'm a twenty-year-old junior at the University of Scranton. I aspire to work in public relations after I graduate, as well as travel the world. I grew up on the south shore of Long Island.
Dania El-Ghazal

Scranton '18

My whole biography realistically can't fit here so