Farewell Professor Holmes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

From professor, advisor to friend, if you’ve had the opportunity to come in touch with Professor Holmes throughout her years at Scranton, consider yourself lucky. After twenty wonderful years, its time to say our farewells as Professor Holmes prepares for retirement!

HC: When did you start teaching at the University of Scranton?
I started teaching in 1992.

HC: What’s the first course you taught here?
Television Production

HC: What will you miss most about the U?
The students. The students are the best part of teaching.

HC: What’s the first thing you plan on doing when you retire?
I live on a lake, so definitely sitting by the water – or even in my kayak.

HC: Future?
Ill have next September free and want to plan some trips. Hopefully in the fall I can go wine country in upstate New York. (finger lakes) And I just started looking into a hiking trip or a sailing trip sometime in the fall. And Florida in the winter. I also want to start volunteering. I have done some work for Habitat for Humanity and I would like to be more involved in that.

HC: Is there anything you would like to say to your current/past students and faculty?
To my students: Dream big, think about where you really want to go and figure out how to get there. Everything is possible. Stay in touch with each other so that if someone ends up big – you have a contact. Whether or not you graduated with them or they already graduated. That’s one of the best ways. It’s really important.
To the faculty: It has sometimes been a challenge but a pleasure in the long run working with all of you. Keep up the good work, we are turning out with some wonderful students. It will only get better!

I think I can speak for everyone when I say that it has been an honor to take a couple of Professor Holmes classes. We thank you for all your dedication to us!

Here are what some students have to say about Professor Holmes farewell:

“Thanks for being an amazing mentor to me for the past three years! I am going to miss you but hope you enjoy retirement and know we will stay in touch. Thank you for reassuring my love for broadcasting and teaching me everything you know.” – Elizabeth Transue

“Professor Holmes has always gone above and beyond for her students. Whether it be staying late at night after her classes are over to help run the studio and live shows, or helping students learn how to edit their projects, Holmes was always willing to help. Having her as a professor my four years here has shaped me for the better. I wish her nothing but the best!” – Mary Baurkot

“Professor Holmes is the reason why I want to pursue a career in broadcasting. She has taught me so much and there is no one more kind and gracious than her! I wish her all the best in a much deserved retirement.” – Emily Darcy

Be sure to check out Professor Holmes retirement video made by Carmine Gerrity-Gemei and Janine Saggese! Click here!

Elizabeth Transue is a Communication Broadcasting major with a minor in Political Science at The University of Scranton. Her life changed when she studied abroad in London and fell in love with traveling. She is obsessed with her adorable pug, Chikfila, and her eleven best friends who just so happen to be her housemates. She can't hold a tune or keep a rhythm but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it! Am I right?
Samantha is an East Coast girl from Pennsylvania with a New York City attitude and a Florida mindset. Her shopping habits are contagious; she has inherited them from her mom (they say mother knows best, right?). Samantha is a University of Scranton senior majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Business. She is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend, Elise. She is also the captain for Scranton Love Your Melon and secretary of the University of Scranton's Business Club. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @samanthaamilazzo @samanthaliza_