samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Essential Career Tips From Your Average Intern Cubical

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

As school creeps around the corner, most busy college students think, “wow that summer went by quickly!” Well this summer, because of my exhilarating internship, fast was an understatement. I might as well have propelled myself through a time machine. This summer defined a time in which I realized I could differentiate myself by articulating my strengths and realizing my weaknesses. I did that by living through the lessons I learned below.  Read on to find out 7 essential career tips… straight from your average intern cubical:   

1) EATYes, eat and never eat alone! Your lunch break should just be called “networking for dummies.” Challenge yourself to eat lunch with someone who is NOT in your department.  This engagement will present a new perspective of your company and a new friendship. And who knows your lunch buddy may be connected to somebody, who is connected to somebody else who could maybe offer you your next job!

2) Learn when you are being annoyingWorking as a team player inevitably involves communication. Sometimes when questions are delivered, they are not always received. Your co-workers are probably either just as busy or busier than you. Give them some time to respond to your conversation! When too much time has passed this common confusion can ultimately cause uneasiness and a tad bit of a panic. Being an A+ employee does entail asking questions to accomplish your work. So go ahead start communicating a second, third or even fourth time, remind yourself there is a difference between persistence and annoyance. Dare to be pushy enough that you stick out in positive way!

3) Embrace the Century you were born inMaster a technological hobby to teach to people of an older generation with patience. Examples of this could be:

· Managing a business’ social media accounts

· Utilizing accounts like Storify, Snapchat and Periscope to tell a story

· Paying for department outing with the app. Venmo

Our corporate leaders succeed in many other things us millennials do not. But, these corporate leaders lack the ability to catch up to what we created: that chaotic masterpiece called social media. Lend yourself to connect the puzzle pieces of the generation gap. People will appreciate the time you’ve devoted to your life to sliding your finger across a glass screen, I promise.

4) Think inside of the cubicalThink of your cubical as your comfy corporate home. This past summer I really turned the space of that cube into a place. Decorate and organize your walls with helpful nic nacs. I kept post-it notes of inspiring quotes, coffee mugs filled with pens and a few calendars. Also, big shout- out to my Dell, I have been able to utilize Google more than ever. Whenever something that sparked my curiosity I turned right to my keyboard. Always be willing to feed yourself information and confide in thee cube.

5) Always do extraDoing extra doesn’t always mean fixing your co-workers coffee addiction each morning. Doing extra means thoroughly seizing each task you have to sufficiently learn as much as you can. Ask yourself what does your day entail that could possibly add value to others? Are you going to a meeting without your department members? Are you testing out your company’s new product? Either type up your notes or a summary and send them to your department is just one way to always do extra. Going the extra mile really exemplifies putting others before you.

6) Keep up with your CompanyMake it your homework to gradually feel out the environment in your workplace. Always stay updated on the latest company news because it could affect you. Also remember to have fun! Find out if there are things like community events, causal Fridays and workshops. Unleash your passion for your employers by paying it forward.

7) Create a list of dream jobsYour life is probably going one of two ways right now. Either you are secure and happy in your current job position or another career path really excites you, If option two is the situation be mature enough to be completely real with yourself. But wherever you stand in career path, don’t ever stop being hungry. The best is yet to come, right? I keep a list of companies I am eager to apply to in the back of my work journal.

Huge shout-out to all the wonderful people I have collaborated with this summer. I couldn’t write this article without you!

Hailing from New Jersey, Donna is just as loving as her last name portrays her to be. She is a senior at the University of Scranton majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Entrepreneurship. She is positive that the song "Rather Be" was written about her past semester studying abroad in Australia. Donna lives for the dance floor, her three dogs and frozen yogurt. If you see her without her signature pearl earrings, just please, offer a sister some lovin. Follow her on Instagram @d0nzette & Twitter @DAmore55 !
Samantha is an East Coast girl from Pennsylvania with a New York City attitude and a Florida mindset. Her shopping habits are contagious; she has inherited them from her mom (they say mother knows best, right?). Samantha is a University of Scranton senior majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Business. She is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend, Elise. She is also the captain for Scranton Love Your Melon and secretary of the University of Scranton's Business Club. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @samanthaamilazzo @samanthaliza_