This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Freshman year is easily the scariest and most exciting year of your life all at the same time. It involves separating from your friends, leaving home and becoming responsible enough to actually take care of yourself. Instead of doing your homework in your high school homeroom, you’re now faced with the challenge of actually doing your work and sticking to your studies. As scary as this time may seem, it is necessary to step back and see all of the opportunities that stand right in front you. Even those “cool” seniors that you’re totally envious of have been there. Here’s a list of the things that I wish I had known my freshman year.

1.) It’s ok to not have everything figured out.           Sure, some people know exactly what they want to do with the rest of their lives, but that does not mean that everyone does. Don’t panic when you start to doubt your major; just because you wanted to be a doctor when you were six doesn’t mean that you have to be one now.

2.) Pace out your class assignments.           No, you do not need to read three chapters of your giant economics book in one sitting. Planning out what homework to do when is essential in keeping yourself sane. Once college starts it seems like everything needs to be done at once, but remember that some “me time never hurt a girl!

3.) Don’t judge a book by its cover.            It may sound cliché, but the old saying holds true during your college career. That girl that looks like a total b*tch in your Intro to Writing course can easily turn out to be your new bestie if you give her a chance.

5.) Get involved.            The best advice I’ve ever received was “step outside of your comfort zone. You may have been the class president, the cheer captain or the star of your high school basketball team, but that does’t mean you have to stick with those clubs during college. Joining a club that you are not familiar with is a great way to make new friends!

6.) It’s never too early to start planning.            Your upperclassman years come quickly (trust me). A quick Google search can pull up thousands of internship opportunities in your field. Although interning at a small startup blog may seem insignificant, it can really add some character to your portfolio.

7.) You’re going to lose friends.            It may sound harsh, but its bound to happen. Some of the girls that you have been inseparable with will go their separate ways and start making their own life. Sure, it’s not a nice feeling to lose a friend, but its bound to happen. It may not seem like it right now, but there will be a time when you’ll miss your school friends when you come home on a holiday break. \

8.) Have fun!            One of the biggest regrets that I have had through my college career thus far is the fact that I worked way too much. Studying and part-time jobs are important, but they cannot overcome your life. Don’t feel guilty about going out on a Friday night because you only get this experience once!

Your first year as a collegiate are meant for personal, professional and social growth. You will face triumphs and challenges. You will laugh until you cry, and you will cry until you laugh. The biggest piece of advice I could ever give someone looking back on my college career would be to just breathe. If you’re not into the college scene when it first begins: don’t panic. Looking back on it, you will wonder why you were ever scared of this wonderful time in your life and why you didn’t embrace it sooner.

Emily is a Scranton native trying to make a name for herself. She is a senior at the University of Scranton majoring in Strategic Communication with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in Finance. When she's not goofing off with her friends or spending time with her family, there is a very big chance that she's binge watching Criminal Minds on Netflix. Emily has a love-hate relationship with Moe's Southwest Grill and would probably eat chips and queso for every meal if it didn't mean that she'd have to work out afterwards. She loves being a part of Her Campus Scranton and can't wait to see what her future holds!
Samantha is an East Coast girl from Pennsylvania with a New York City attitude and a Florida mindset. Her shopping habits are contagious; she has inherited them from her mom (they say mother knows best, right?). Samantha is a University of Scranton senior majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Business. She is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend, Elise. She is also the captain for Scranton Love Your Melon and secretary of the University of Scranton's Business Club. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @samanthaamilazzo @samanthaliza_