This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

CoverGirl has made its first move in the makeup industry to diversify its campaign. There are already many celebrity ambassadors such as Katy Perry and Ellen DeGeneres, but it was recently announced that Muslim beauty blogger Nura Afia will be the newest CoverGirl.

What does this mean for the beauty world? Nothing. Nura is just another amazing artist who was offered a contract from CoverGirl. However, to those who refuse to see past ethnicity and gender, this campaign is a breakthrough. It’s the start of a change we all need to be exposed to.

CoverGirl’s new campaign could not have come at a better time for America. We need to embrace change to become more accepting and tolerant as a nation. CoverGirl’s campaign is just the push we need. James Charles is the first ever boy to be featured as a CoverGirl model. Charles is a social media star and has broken the barrier into the female-dominated makeup world.

Nura Afia and James Charles are two brave faces that America needs to see right now. We need to see be open to these positive changes. Our nation cannot grow if we don’t open our eyes and accept our differences. The only question I have is: why hasn’t this happened sooner?

Elizabeth Transue is a Communication Broadcasting major with a minor in Political Science at The University of Scranton. Her life changed when she studied abroad in London and fell in love with traveling. She is obsessed with her adorable pug, Chikfila, and her eleven best friends who just so happen to be her housemates. She can't hold a tune or keep a rhythm but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it! Am I right?